Cudahy Milk Glass Jar, and a Carters ink well.

HomesteadHound

Oct 14, 2014
PNW
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Silver uMax, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudahy Milk Glass Jar, and a Carter's ink well.

These three bottles are the only three I found whole out of a small bottle dump at a homestead site that dates from the 1890s to the 1930s. Found a lot of broken blob tops and embossed bases. The ink well is embossed on the bottom and it reads "Carter's No. 5 Made in U.S.A." and the milk glass jar is embossed on the bottom as well and it reads "The Cudahy Packing CO Omaha." I have done research on them both and the ink well dates to about 1915 I believe. I have found other milk glass jars on the internet from The Cudahy Packing Co, but none of them have the same embossing on the bottom. The other bottle has no embossing or marks. The one I am most curious about is the Cudahy jar. I would like to know what it contained, and if somebody could give me a date, that would be sweet! If anybody can educate me on these finds, I'm all ears!

Attachments

• IMG_1011[1].JPG
    IMG_1011[1].JPG
    890.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1013[1].JPG
    IMG_1013[1].JPG
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 382

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without doing any research, my first instinct for the milk glass is a salve or cosmetic cream.

OP
OP
HomesteadHound

HomesteadHound

Oct 14, 2014
PNW
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the link, epackage. I have looked at the Cudahy Packing Company wikipedia multiple times before. And bottlehunter, that was my first guess when i pulled it out of the dump. But after doing a little research, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't a cream or salve. I know the Cudahy Packing Company was one of the largest, if not the largest meat packing companies in the U.S. at the time. That's why I am thinking it's more along the lines of some kind of extract from a cow. Maybe lard, or something of that sort.

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Could have been a marrow spread or deviled ham type spread..

OP
OP
HomesteadHound

HomesteadHound

Oct 14, 2014
PNW
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it was, the people who dumped their bottles in that dump must have liked it because I found at least three bases of the same jar. This was the only one I found that was whole. Must have been something in high demand by those homesteaders.

live2crochet

Feb 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudahy Rex Brand Extract of Beef Milk Glass Jar?

Thanks for the link, epackage. I have looked at the Cudahy Packing Company wikipedia multiple times before. And bottlehunter, that was my first guess when i pulled it out of the dump. But after doing a little research, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't a cream or salve. I know the Cudahy Packing Company was one of the largest, if not the largest meat packing companies in the U.S. at the time. That's why I am thinking it's more along the lines of some kind of extract from a cow. Maybe lard, or something of that sort.

I have found one of these as well. With the information this thread provided I decided to search for advertisements form this company. I think I may have found what it could have possibly been from. Just like you said, some sort of extract! 2F915BB1-FB7B-4CA8-83FB-F9EE77260CA6.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread