Squat cylinder wine bottle

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I don't think this qualifies as a mallet, not even a "transitional" mallet.

blackglassmallets.jpg malletratio.jpg
It is actually a base-diameter to body-height ratio which is the key to distinguishing mallets from squat cylinders, according to Roger Dumbrell in his book, UNDERSTANDING ANTIQUE WINE BOTTLES.

Here's what Dumbrell says in his book: "...mallet wine bottles have broad bases, considerably exceeding their body height [height to the start of the curve of the shoulder]. Conversely, the squat cylindrical bottle invariably has a body height greater than its base diameter."

That is:
It is a mallet when the body height to the shoulder divided by the diameter of the base gives an number of less than one.

It is a squat cylinder when the body height divided by the diameter of the base gives an answer greater than one.

Dumbrell does not use the term "transitional mallet," but we could infer that:
It is a "transitional mallet" when the body height divided by the diameter of the base gives an answer of about one.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find to come across. We have to spend many, many hours underwater to find a bottle like that. As for the sand blasting, I would just leave it alone because it gives this bottle some unique characteristics that speaks to it's own history.
Love the bottle, well done.
ZDD

OP
OP
P

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find to come across. We have to spend many, many hours underwater to find a bottle like that. As for the sand blasting, I would just leave it alone because it gives this bottle some unique characteristics that speaks to it's own history.
Love the bottle, well done.
ZDD

Appreciate it. I plan to leave it just like it is- and I will be checking the bars the next time the river is really low. Columbia is rich with history and you never know what the river will turn up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread