Squat cylinder wine bottle

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this past summer in a river near Columbia, SC. I was wading a sandbar when the river was low looking for native american pottery & there it was, lying on the bottom in the sand.

ForumRunner_20141218_190542.png

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old English bottle! Got a bit of a beating in the river, no? (I would love to find a bottle that old- seriously) HH! Yakker

OP
OP
P

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's been sandblasted for sure but I'm not complaining. It's pretty cool that it survised in the river without breaking.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it got all roughed up but never broke, tough old dog...what is the date?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yes! Great find for walking the bar.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nothing that old where I am, real nice find.

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice. ... Do NOT machine tumble back to smooth. Classic as it is. Graphite or open pontil??

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great bottle you found. It's old and has lots of character. Thanks for sharing it with us

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Very nice find. The date of 1760 - 80 is reasonable.

These bottles typically were finished using neither an "open" pontil rod (blowpipe used as a pontil rod) nor a "graphite" pontil rod (a bare iron rod). Such bottles were usually finished using a "sand pontil" which employed crushed glass, sand, or even crushed furnace clinker as a separating medium.

The misleading term "graphite pontil" has fallen out of use -- there is no graphite involved with an iron pontil scar. A somewhat better term for bare iron pontil is "improved pontil," a qualitative term perhaps for marketing purposes back when it was introduced.

Bare iron empontilling was a mid-19th century development (Van den Bossche give 1830 as the date of widespread introduction) which substantially postdates this bottle.

Tumble-polishing such a bottle is strictly a subjective preference. I don't think it would hurt this bottle in any way.
blackglasscylindersquats.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Looks like a standard sand pontil scar. There should be tiny grit adhering to the bottle bottom which you can feel easier than see. The grit serves as a stand-off, preventing the iron rod from bonding with the glass over a large surface area (as with a bare iron pontil). The bottle is broken away from the rod along this weak boundary which consists of a fused scatter of grit.

This technique was so successfully employed in Late 18th and Early 19th Century Britain that it is often only detected by a few tiny adherent specks of grit on the bottom of the bottle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread