outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I was MD-ing at the lake, and was seeing several pieces of broken glass and ceramic plates. I was busy with MDing, and paid no mind.
Now, I want to go back and dig more, because I want to see more glass items... hopefully entire ones... Pink glass bottle bottom caught my attention...
Does anything nowadays come in pink glass bottles?? Do you think it has some age to it??
I will return to that site when I have more time... used to be a farm there...

Your thoughts???

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Clear bottle that started turning pink because of the suns UV rays due to the manganese used in the making of the glass

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this was PINK PINK. Continual coloration and not faded, and was buried in sand quite deep.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As with many things, pink glass is certainly still made- but if you're finding pottery/china shards too, you are in an area that won't have Pier 1 stuff. 8-) I have found, in a cool old, multi-aged dump, a depression glass sugar bowl (it's still packed, so I don't have a pic). And I've found some very cool things- but not necessarily of any value to anyone other than myself- and some retro collectors on Etsy. If I were you, I'd go back and poke around a bit. You never know what you'll find- remembering that when people dumped trash,- especially if they were clearing out an old house, the stuff that was tossed (or sometimes plowed) out, can often be much older than the newest thing there. A mayo or ketchup bottle may be young(ish), but granny also had that old bottle of something-or-other in the medicine cabinet from way back- cork still in it. So you never know. Good luck! Yakker

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Well this was PINK PINK. Continual coloration and not faded, and was buried in sand quite deep.
I'm not sure I get your point, it could have easily been in the sun or a window sill for many years before being discarded in the dump, there wouldn't be any fading either. It's also possible the bottle was made that color, how about a pic?

OP
OP
outdoorfunblonde

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I get your point, it could have easily been in the sun or a window sill for many years before being discarded in the dump, there wouldn't be any fading either. It's also possible the bottle was made that color, how about a pic?

Yeah...I just think it was made that color...but you're right, could have been in sill for years...
I figured color out of the ordinary. I'm gonna go back and look for that piece again so I can take pics.
I didn't have a lot of patience that day, am certaintly going back w/ a bigger shovel too.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now I'm confused. I figured she was talking about pink glass- not violet/purple glass- which has manganese in it and turns purple/violet when exposed to sun. I was thinking she was seeing pink- like Depression glass (among other options for pink). :dontknow: Yakker

pink D. glass:

images

purple manganese glass:

images

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Early stages of of SCA glass can be many levels of pink to purple, the amount of manganese in the glass will also have a an effect on how much color change you get, I'd call this milk I have 'pink' at this stage...

4029033981.JPG

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with out a photo or any other reference there is no way to know what it is . It may be a bottom to a piece of depression glass like a creamer or a salt shaker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread