Shore bottles

Bellwoodboys

Jul 10, 2015
Belmar
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my collecting years have been dedicated towards bottles. Collecting bottles often encompasses a wide spectrum of glass, so collectors specialize in an area, such as historical flasks or pontilled sodas. Mine has always been bottles from Monmouth and Ocean county. There is just something so special about a bottle from your hometown! You can often locate exactly where the bottling works/dairy was located as well as what they sold through in-depth research as well as speaking with some of the older residents in town (who often have other very interesting stories :thumbsup: )

That's why I love local bottles so much! Finding the bottle is only the beginning of the fun, next comes the research about what kind of character the bottler was, where he bottled, and other additional info. Bottlers were often colorful characters who lived unusual lives.

The first picture depicts some of the hardest shore blobs to find! The one on the far right is a VERY early hutter blob from Matawan. This bottle was likely one of the first Monmouth County tall blob sodas, and the bottler Zimmerman is almost untraceable. The bottle is extremely rare.

The second one in the middle is a mint tall clear blob from Belmar. Only 3 of these bottles are known to exist. All 3 were found by my friend during a house demo in Belmar years ago.

The third one is a tall aqua blob from Atlantic Highlands with a very unusual slugplate. The embossing "Lehn's Bottling Works, Atlantic Highlands, NJ" are all piled on top of each other. Possibly evidence of a lazy mold carver who didn't feel like aligning all the embossing on the typical oval or circular slugplate. Although it would still be a lot of work to carve all those letters out! This bottle is also very rare.

18992127294_dfc93534b6_b.jpg

More to come later, off to detecting!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great post Rob. I like all 3, especially the Lehn's. Good luck metal detecting, hope you find some goodies

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice picture. That's my favorite spot for bottles. I don't put many of mine in the window because I'm paranoid they might turn purple but there are some in my kitchen window. There is a time right before sunset that the sun hits those bottles and I love it.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job Rob, some Zimmerman info....

He was born in Germany in 1837, he had a wife Otillie born 1844, a son William born 1875, son Emil born in 1878, and son Otto born in 1886. They had 4 other children but none lived past 1900.

William Zimmerman died of paralysis on Monday, April 24, 1899 at age 61. He had lived at Matawan a number of years and ran a saloon there until 1894, when he retired from business. Four years ago he was stricken with paralysis, he recovered from the attack but was again stricken and from that time was unable to help himself. He leaves a widow and two sons.

OP
OP
Bellwoodboys

Bellwoodboys

Jul 10, 2015
Belmar
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! And great research as usual Jim, might have to recruit you on a couple of more!

Here are 2 more bottles. H.W Brice was one of the Monmouth county "bottle hoppers" who moved place to place. Here are 2 bottles from some of his places. The Avon-by-the-Sea one is extremely rare while the Long Branch one is obtainable. M. Barrett was the real bottle hopper of Monmouth county, who bottled in Neptune city and asbury park from around 1890-1910, the switched and spent a couple of years in Belmar then 1 year in Avon-by-the-Sea.

19477856900_41d3096c56_c.jpg

OP
OP
Bellwoodboys

Bellwoodboys

Jul 10, 2015
Belmar
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I should do a quick update.

2 very rare embossed citrate of magnesia bottles from the Jersey shore. Bottles from Sea Bright are extremely difficult to locate as is, but the minton citrate and the poppinga blob are the hardest bottles to find from the town. Mintons drug store was located on the northwest corner of Ocean ave and River street.

The T.M Stewart is another exceptionally rare shore citrate. With a deep aqua hue and small seedy bubbles scattered throughout, this makes it my favorite Asbury Park bottle I own. As far as the company, not much is known. Next time I meet up with my shore bottle guru I will interrogate him.

18217015171_1a0358e134_c.jpg

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bellwood, Have you run across this bottle before? I only ask because you seem to have a lot of knowledge on New Jersey locals. (And I has never seen another druggist bottle in this style until this post!). Thank you in advance. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438473736.668227.jpg P.S. This was dug in upstate N.Y.

OP
OP
Bellwoodboys

Bellwoodboys

Jul 10, 2015
Belmar
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Goldenplug,

I have never seen that citrate before, but Newark is a large city so it doesn't surprise me that unknown specimens are out there.

As far as the history goes, I know Mennen was a rather large company in Newark. They were known primarily for pharmaceuticals and cosmetic products. The company was originally located in Newark before it moved to Morristown and became a lesser known nationally recognized brand.

I'm not sure the bottle is related to this Mennen, but it is a very nice bottle none the less.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Goldenplug,

I have never seen that citrate before, but Newark is a large city so it doesn't surprise me that unknown specimens are out there.

As far as the history goes, I know Mennen was a rather large company in Newark. They were known primarily for pharmaceuticals and cosmetic products. The company was originally located in Newark before it moved to Morristown and became a lesser known nationally recognized brand.

I'm not sure the bottle is related to this Mennen, but it is a very nice bottle none the less.

Very cool. So this would be a citrate of magnesia based on its style. I'm fairly new to the hobby and unless I saw your post I would have never guessed that. I apologize to the others on this forum who may have already seen this bottle since I posted it before. From a little bit of info I could find G. Mennen he was the originator of the Mennen (Speed stick) company. He developed a corn killer powder but I always thought this bottle was WAY too big for that. Now it makes sense, thank you!

OP
OP
Bellwoodboys

Bellwoodboys

Jul 10, 2015
Belmar
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem Goldenplug! Always happy to help.

And the good thing about citrate bottles are they are often 10X rarer then the embossed prescription style pharmacy bottles. If that G.Mennen is related to the Speed Stick G.Mennen, it could be a very good bottle! The connection seems a little on the unlikely side in my eyes though.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem Goldenplug! Always happy to help.

And the good thing about citrate bottles are they are often 10X rarer then the embossed prescription style pharmacy bottles. If that G.Mennen is related to the Speed Stick G.Mennen, it could be a very good bottle! The connection seems a little on the unlikely side in my eyes though.

I respect your opinion and don't want to insult your intelligence. With that in mind I'm going to have to respectively disagree. There being two different G. Mennen Pharmacists in Newark NJ in the time period of 1870-1900 is much more unlikely in my opinion. Sorry I'm taking up space on your thread.

OP
OP
Bellwoodboys

Bellwoodboys

Jul 10, 2015
Belmar
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem! The whole purpose of a forum is to have an area to discuss certain topics. Take up as much thread space as you want.

And no offense taken. If you want I can add the G. Menner to njbottles.com and some other bottle experts can look at it. You're probably right but it'll be added into the largest NJ bottle database. I could even create an account for you if you desire.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be awesome. I would love to have it posted on njbottles.com! Its my only New Jersey bottle I have (I think).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread