Salt Marsh Digging

detectingdude

Greenie
Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone! Last year I was on vacation up in Maine staying at the beach. One day I decided to go exploring in one of the salt marshes at low tied close to where I was staying. Expecting to find seashells and sea glass I was very surprised to find a nice stoneware bear bottle and frenches mustard jar along with many pieces of broken glass and ceramics all within just a few yards of each other sitting right on top of the mud. The next day I went back and found a whiskey jar and more broken glass all in the same spot. Now this year I'm back and I'm almost positive that there are more and older bottles in the marsh as the town I'm staying in was established in the mid 17th century. but my question is how do I go about this? Do the tides move and scatter the dumps? How would one dig in the marsh? And how would one find a dump? Thanks so much for reading! And thanks for any help in advance!

Happy Hunting, James

OP
OP
D

detectingdude

Greenie
Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also out of the broken ceramic pieces I was able to glue and piece together most of an old oyster jar. Here is the beer bottle and jar. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439055528.819422.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439055567.004421.jpg

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, dumps in a salt marsh can be hard to dig depending on how many Oster shells and weeds there are. many times what you find in the estuaries are things that have washed up from the sea over the years . If in deed you have found a dump, find the perimeter and start digging in to were the trash is. most likely you well see grey ash and black ash , this will tell you that you are in a dump. use a probe to feel around for glass , bricks whatever . good luck.

OP
OP
D

detectingdude

Greenie
Feb 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Thanks a ton! I'll head down today and start digging

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Unlikely to be a submerged trash dump. For scattered throwaways and drift bottles, you may want stout waders and a four-pronged hay fork. Walk an organized search pattern, probing for glass buried in the muck. Carefully excavate targets with a garden fork. Avoid digging with your hands because of broken glass. Let us see what you find.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^that's where I do 99% of my digging, if your going the wader route, if you have access to a clam rake with 8-9ft handle, use that.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with the basics, you most definitely need a pitchfork and a potato rake. Do test digs, once you hit a patch of grey matter such as ash, etc. Dig away and use the potato rake to clear the hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread