Chicago Hutch Soda Bottle

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Chicago Hutch' Soda Bottle

Recently, someone was interested in Illinois bottles. I have this aqua Hutchinson soda bottle that has been on my shelf for ages . . . but, I'm not a soda collector (unless it's pontil-scarred). I did grow up in Chicago, so I kept it.

I don't think there are too many of these around, but I could be wrong. I see on-line that in 1898 Matejka & Gruener had two employees at their bottling plant in Chicago.

This example is crude, with stretch-marks from the neck down over the shoulder. The bottle is in good shape with some light cloudiness, but little case-wear. There is wear on one seam, but nothing that wouldn't disappear with a light tumbling. The embossing is great, with truly minor high-point wear on a couple of letters. The dark blob inside the bottle is the gasket end of the Hutchinson stopper.

Anyone else have one of these?
hutch_chicago.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the crudeness in that bottle. Great piece Harry

Bottleworm

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice crudeness in that one. I have that same bottle on my shelf. Mine is pretty mint. Just a little haze and a little case wear. I paid $20 for mine. I have seen a few others. I bid on the quart hutch of this bottle and didn't get it unfortunately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread