General Question About Digging

nephils

Sep 24, 2015
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am new here...I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post.

I recently purchased a home and property in a semi-rural area. The house I bought from original owner and was built in 60's, but the property had been farmed prior to that and also has some woods. I have no knowledge of any houses being here between 1920 and 1967, but I don't know for sure and something could have been here earlier than that I guess. I've started researching and the general area has history of various usage (old wagon roads, indian trail, farming, etc.). One day I was walking towards the woods and saw a bottle just partly surfacing out of a very compacted area of ground. The bottle is embossed with a local bottling company name that I can't find any info on. After that, I started noticing bottle fragments pretty much everywhere I looked. I started digging an area between three trees, and found numerous bottles and other junk that I estimate to be about 1900's - 1930's.

I ended up buying a metal detector and get a signal almost anywhere in the 3 acre cleared areas, always pulling random metal items (barbed wire, horseshoe, railroad spikes, little carbon rods, etc,) as well as glass/brick/pottery shards, marbles, shoes, buttons, etc. throughout the whole yard, sometimes just below surface, other times a foot deep. Some areas are more full, for example right off the patio (30 ft from house) I found a massive amount of what seems like old construction material, lots of big nails, hinges, bolts, but also a lot of pane glass, bottle fragments, china, silverware, melted pieces of glass, etc., all of which seem to be from 30s and about 1.5 feet deep below a rust and coal ash layer, but spread out over at least a 3 foot area. In this area I also dug some kind of crumbly stony material that is about 6 inches deep and spreads across a 2 foot area, with other random things in same vicinity.

My questions are: Are there certain diagnostic clues as to what was here, or what happened, and basically why I'm finding stuff spread out over the whole 3 acre property (not even including the woods). Also, like items seem to be concentrated together, for example in one area I found a bunch of clam shells buried together, in another area a bunch of old zinc mason jar lids, buried together, in another seemed like a big pile of old nails together...

Also, when I'm digging throughout the yard, and I find glass fragments, say about 6 inches to a foot deep, should I keep digging deeper? It seems like in some spots I hit a layer of rocky, pebbly soil, then coal ash, then sand, then more rocky soil, but hard. I'm not sure how to gauge where to stop (depth-wise), or where to focus. I could literally dig a hole anywhere and there is something there. In some areas, the ash layer seems more shallow, and then I hit the rocky stuff.

I'm just trying to figure out a way to do this...because like I said, I could dig a few inches deep anywhere on the property and find something that doesn't belong.

Sorry for the rambling...just want to hear from some experienced diggers!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like there was a farm dump nearby. Most likely, the property was an old farm field or just old farm property. Back then people would dump all their bottles and junk anywhere, possibly even in their back yard. If roads used to go through your property, it's possible all the stuff you are finding was just left over from travelers. Maybe it was a farm field that got tilled and plowed, so the junk that distributed there overtime was mixed up in the earth.
If you could, take some pictures of the pieces you found, and the land around were you are finding the things.
Sounds really interesting! Can't wait to see what you find!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like an old dump site and would be worth digging. IMO It would be fun to see what different eras are located around there. Happy Hunting and please post your finds.
p.s. Welcome to the forum

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're finding stuff spread out everywhere it's likely the tractors spread it over the years while disking the ground

OP
OP
N

nephils

Sep 24, 2015
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies! I didn't consider the plow...that makes a lot of sense as to why things are spread out all over the property. It's interesting that the previous owners never found any of this stuff. Just yesterday I went out with the detector and found a broken pitchfork less than an inch below the surface and another bottle (broken) flush with the compacted ground. I also believe there was a road at the back of the property, where I've been finding some intact bottles and other interesting items. I will try to start taking pics today...its mostly all junk but to me it's interesting.

So if I find some hot spots like pits, at what point do I stop digging?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell while digging where the soil has been disturbed.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
keep in mind too back in the day people didnt care about littering either they just threw stuff where ever whenever...here in NEPA we have alot of history and ALOT of junk just as u describe!

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I would try the local library to see if they have any maps of the area from around the time you estimate the age of the articles to be.
I think you mentioned the 1930's?

Would be interesting to see what the prior land use was, if anything.
Maybe it was just a convenient field (at the time) for folks to dump stuff in?

I see from your profile that you may be in New Jersey.
Here's a quick link to get you started (probably not the best?)
I'm sure folks here will know of much better resources, but just looking quickly, one of these maps shows the soil types.

New Jersey Historical Maps

I own a Garrett GTI-2500 metal detector that has loads of discrimination modes available.
I wonder how it would work under the conditions you describe?
I'm guessing one would still end up digging practically every square inch, at least until enough time passed finding nothing of "value"?

OP
OP
N

nephils

Sep 24, 2015
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, here are some of the finds...this pic is just bottles from one area...there are several 'areas' of interest that seem to be of different time periods. In one of the areas closer to the house, (not the one these bottles are from) I actually found a tiny preserved section of torn newspaper that seems to date from the 1930's as several names are mentioned that can be traced to that period...there isn't much of it, maybe about 2 inch tear of several pages...but just enough to get some clues.

Area 1-2.jpg

OP
OP
N

nephils

Sep 24, 2015
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I would try the local library to see if they have any maps of the area from around the time you estimate the age of the articles to be.
I think you mentioned the 1930's?

Would be interesting to see what the prior land use was, if anything.
Maybe it was just a convenient field (at the time) for folks to dump stuff in?

I see from your profile that you may be in New Jersey.
Here's a quick link to get you started (probably not the best?)
I'm sure folks here will know of much better resources, but just looking quickly, one of these maps shows the soil types.

New Jersey Historical Maps

I own a Garrett GTI-2500 metal detector that has loads of discrimination modes available.
I wonder how it would work under the conditions you describe?
I'm guessing one would still end up digging practically every square inch, at least until enough time passed finding nothing of "value"?

Thank you for the info...those maps are great! I actually found a website that has old surveys of my county, so I am able to get a sense of the original owners of the property (mid-18th century), but establishing a time-line between then and 1950's is the challenge!

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, here are some of the finds...this pic is just bottles from one area...there are several 'areas' of interest that seem to be of different time periods. In one of the areas closer to the house, (not the one these bottles are from) I actually found a tiny preserved section of torn newspaper that seems to date from the 1930's as several names are mentioned that can be traced to that period...there isn't much of it, maybe about 2 inch tear of several pages...but just enough to get some clues.

View attachment 1216620

Ooooo! Those are some nice bottles! Some nice embossed ones too. Can't wait to see what else you dig up!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for small mounds with glass shards on them and then dig a small hole quick to check it out. Lots of times small bushes grow on old dump piles. Also critters lke to make there homes around the trash in the ground. Gofers are my friends. Look for where they live. Good luck! Sounds like you have a shallow dump area. You might as well just dig it all up or you will be curous:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread