Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

Hoping your expertise will help me narrow down the age range of this shot glass - the writing is very thick, like toothpaste, thus I think hand enameled. couple chips on bottom, one smoothing out,one sharper, and overall honest wear. Came from my Great-Great Aunts estate Edna Farlow (1876 - 1962) who lived in Lander, Wyoming

IMG_0499 - Copy 2.jpg IMG_0503 - Copy.JPG IMG_0504 - Copy.JPG IMG_0498 - Copy 2.jpg

Logo wraps around so hard to photo - Grimmet's Sure Cure

History you ask - well, still working on it, but here is what I have - I always thought it was a Joke glass and Grimmet's was a brand of booze. Could never find that brand listed.

Then I somehow Googled Grimmet's and Lander WY and by golly, there it was!!!! Grimmet's Free Silver Saloon! Photo and some history - including the statement Butch Cassidy frequented both the Free Silver saloon and the Landers Saloon (owned by Jesse James 3rd cousin)

Photo and info link - They are even holding shot glasses, but I can't see logo on them.

The Landers, Wyoming Saloon of Jesse James Cousin - Leaves of Gas

It would be so cool if I can link glass age to the bar timeline! Lander was considered "Outlaw friendly" so who know drank at that bar - Hole in the wall gang?

Thank you for any information -

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Grimmet's could be a quack medicine from the TOC which was mainly alcohol...

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply! I didn't think of the "snake oil" that was around at that time. This gives me another lead for my research. Grimmet was a 2 term Sheriff for Lander, but perhaps got into another business.

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggummup -

Thank you for the info - hope I can find someone with a Worthpoint account - Searching Worthpoint, I also found a 12 1/2 cent trade token for Orson Grimmitt - Lander - so he had a 1 bit bar :)

I do have 2 of the thin pre-pro shots (with no markings) that were in the same box as the "Sure Cure"

Is it the lettering style of application is what points it to pre-pro? I did read somewhere about the thick lettering like toothpaste, but couldn't find anything else.

Even finding 2 spellings of his last name, (1 or 2 t's) my family history in Lander get's me closer to confirming this was from Grimmit's Free Silver Saloon.

As a retired bar wench, they must have sold a zillion of the thin side shots as breakage/chipping must have been significant. Except for theft, the thick shots held up for quite a while, even in the rowdy bars I worked in Alaska, thus a smart saloon owner would want to keep cost down in a town like Lander. (Just a thought)

Thanks again - HH

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe many of the old shot glasses that had writing/advertising on them were giveaways at the local drinking establishments for reasons of promoting a brand or Distillery or what have you. I'll pm you about the Worthopedia info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread