Bottles I found yesterday...can anyone identify?

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey
I mostly just metal detect but there is one area I have been to once before and I picked up a few older looking bottles from there. Decided to go back yesterday and do some bottle hunting. The area is alongside a creek and it looks like they are going to be developing it as all the trees are now marked with orange paint and ribbons...if they dig it up I'll definitely have to get back in there! Anyway, I really don't know anything about bottles...any idea how old these might be? I found the large brown pot buried in the bank of the creek...had to dig for that one! I really like the smaller bottles and the one I treasure is the small drugstore bottle. I looked it up online and that drugstore closed in the 1930's...

Attachments

• 100_6376.JPG
    100_6376.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 434
  • 100_6379.JPG
    100_6379.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 432
  • 100_6380.JPG
    100_6380.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 100_6385.JPG
    100_6385.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 430
  • 100_6387.JPG
    100_6387.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 430

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
MetalFury said:
I mostly just metal detect but there is one area I have been to once before and I picked up a few older looking bottles from there. Decided to go back yesterday and do some bottle hunting. The area is alongside a creek and it looks like they are going to be developing it as all the trees are now marked with orange paint and ribbons...if they dig it up I'll definitely have to get back in there! Anyway, I really don't know anything about bottles...any idea how old these might be? I found the large brown pot buried in the bank of the creek...had to dig for that one! I really like the smaller bottles and the one I treasure is the small drugstore bottle. I looked it up online and that drugstore closed in the 1930's...

Phillips milk of magnesia. Dont know much about bottles but broke one of those bad boys digging a privy. At the bottom of the privy was an 1890s "Full measure pint" strapside so I assume the Phillips bottle was younger. Your looking at circa 1900s phillips milk of magnesia just prior to screw caps. Just a guess. Wait till SWR comes in he'll probably know almost exactly how old it is and how much it's worth.

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
The wide mouth green is, I think, a 'reletively' new beer bottle. The embossed ketchup is cool- never seen an embossed one. And I think Skrimp is right about the Milk of Mag. bottle. Just before screw caps. You've got some cool bottles there! Keep looking :D
and HH
Ab

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
The dump is around 1920. you sould find some nice stuff. pottery piece looks like a spit toon, look for milk bottles and fruit jars. You may even find some cures or bitters

glassdiver

Jan 2, 2007
The Thumb of Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's, Nautilus, Fisher, Garrett
The bottle to the right of the Phillips (has a C C Co monogram on the front) is a Colgate. It has a pressed metal cap that had a shaker hole and was probably a hair tonic.
The Pride of the farm catsup comes in aqua, too ( I have a crude one).
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread