Little pontiled bottle and crude wine bottle

sfox87

May 21, 2013
northwest CT
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought these three bottle today for a total of $23. I think I got a pretty good deal lol. The two smaller ones are pontiled and the green wine(?) isn't but it has a beautiful lip and is wittled and crude. I don't really know anything about any of them so any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks 😊 image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Utility bottles. Could be for any number of medicines. The rectangular could be a blacking / ink bottle. The tall one is a wine bottle. Crude as heck lip finish too. Nice little buy there. jgas

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those puff's are 1820s for shore. and the win also , it may be Spanish .

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Nice little group! The wine is a French Bordeaux bottle (for a red Bordeaux, by the color of the glass). I'd say it dates to 1840 - 1860 just based on the crudeness of the lip finish. Usually, these lip strings are tooled flat. Bordeaux wines are still, so no need for a prominent lip to retain the cork wire. See the drawing below for some traditional French wine forms.

Here's one that was half-heartedly tooled:

4wineshapesB.JPG wine_bordeaux_lip.JPG

OP
OP
sfox87

sfox87

May 21, 2013
northwest CT
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the information everyone :). I was thinking it was a French wine but wasn't entirely sure. It certainly is a beautiful bottle; I love it. There was another at the same place, maybe I'll go pick that one up too lol

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey sfox87. Glad to see you back. Hope you are doing well. Those are all nice bottles. I am a fan of the wine because I like the overall crudeness. If it were green, you wouldn't be able to see all those details in the glass

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread