Some new finds from the past few weeks

linnea810

Oct 30, 2015
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
Since it's finally getting warm out, I've been out several times this month. Most of my finds were art deco and medicine bottles. I also found a lot of tiny art deco perfume bottles. I found some local sodas and a few embossed medicines. (Nospri, Pineoleum, California Fig Syrup) and other common stuff.
I found a lot of junk, but I still took all the crappy bottles home to recycle. I'd rather take them home and recycle them than leave them in the woods.
Also did a school project on quack medicine!
If anyone has any idea what the little beehive shaped jar was used for, please let me know, I am curious!
IMG_4089.jpg IMG_4100.PNG IMG_4496.JPG IMG_4499 2.JPG IMG_4669.jpg IMG_4673.jpg IMG_4685.JPG IMG_4686.png IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4692.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and I am so happy to see some younger people get into the collecting hobby. Come back and see us

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice school presentation and gutsy move bottle digging in shorts. Well Done!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, you gotta start wearing pants, and even knee pads!
(I gave up on the knee pads, keeping them attached became more of a pain than not wearing them)
the Deco perfumes are always fun, they line up on a shelve nicely, and don't take up too much space.
Excellent looking presentation as well, the quack medicine era is also favorite of mine.
You might also want to check out any local bottle digging clubs in your area.
Kudos!
Carl

Bottleworm

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Linnea810 I am just curious as to what part of Illinois you are from. You don't have to say here you if you don't want to. I am also from Illinois and it is rare to see another person around my age looking for bottles.

Bottleworm

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw it looks like that spot has some potential for some older stuff once you dig down a little deeper.

Last edited:

Bottleworm

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 20 minutes outside of Peoria. I don't know of any other kids around here that are into bottles. That's why I was surprised to see a girl around my age digging for bottles.

OP
OP
L

linnea810

Oct 30, 2015
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
Same here, I thought I was the only one. All my friends think it's the weirdest hobby and no one my age really appreciates antique bottles.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, I thought I was the only one. All my friends think it's the weirdest hobby and no one my age really appreciates antique bottles.

Yep, been there. I was about your age when the bug bit me. Something clicked that day, I'm 55 now, and as crazy about old glass as ever. Pads would be a plus. I knelt on a broken Coke buried in the dirt once, and it went to the bone. Even jeans can only help so much. Best of luck, gal.

Bottleworm

Apr 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep same here. Most of my friends don't know I collect bottles and the other things I collect. My few friends who do know think it's odd. Oh well. Also do you just dig them or have you started buying them? Also you will need some knee pads. I have cut myself very badly with only shorts on and even jeans.

OP
OP
L

linnea810

Oct 30, 2015
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
I do both, mostly digging though. My grandpa saves bottles for me that he gets from people he knows when they're cleaning out their homes too

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chicago area, you are in privy heaven out there,,,those old farm towns date back date back to the 1830's (thinking Naperville),,,learn that skill as you progress in your hobby

I am very well connected with the folks back there and can tell you most people your age would drive right past a good site on their way to the starbucks drive through and never turn their head to look.

Illinois can be a magic place or it can be a hot august/cold january hellhole,,,it is all about perspective.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions