How Old is This Narragansett Beer Bottle?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an old Narragansett beer bottle in the woods today. Can anyone give me an idea as to it's age?

It's 10 inches tall and it's a 16 ounce bottle. It's embossed with the Narragansett logo and it has "Brew Co, Prov., RI" below the logo.

It has two mold seams that stops at the neck. One seam is faint and the other is raised enough so that I can feel it with my finger. There's two seams on the neck, but they don't match up with the side mold seams.

The bottom is slightly recessed in the middle with no numbers or glass makers marks on it. There is also a tiny number "5" on the side at the bottom of the bottle. Any help would be appreciated.

narragansett dirty bottle.JPG narragansett dirty.JPG narragansett embossing.JPG narragansett bottom.JPG

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not the same company Don. They bought the name. The bottle looks to be circa 1910 to 1920 in my opinion

That's what I was going to say. Narragansett has been bought and sold so many times over the years, they probably have no clue as to the bottle's age or history.

As for the age of the bottle, if it's circa 1910 to 1920, do you think the "5" means it was manufactured in 1915? That would be really cool to find a 100 year old bottle just lying on the ground in the woods!

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there FreeBirdTim, nice beer bottle!

The '5' is just a mould number. Many older Owens-style ABM bottles have a number on the heel of the bottle - usually a one or two digit number from 1 to 15, never a three digit number (they didn't have that many moulds).

I'd agree with cje, this one was probably made no earlier than 1910 and no later than 1930. I'll guess 1918 just for fun. Your century-old bottle is totally possible.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with cje, I think the bottle dates to the early 1900's time period based on the construction of the bottle. It could also be a soda bottle versus a beer bottle.

f8aea26479b66fa80b48126e517c1d6d.jpg

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon, that's the one! Couldn't find one on eBay, so I figured there weren't too many around. Guess I'll have to check out Etsy next time I find a cool bottle.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with cje, I think the bottle dates to the early 1900's time period based on the construction of the bottle. It could also be a soda bottle versus a beer bottle.

Wow, I never knew that Narragansett sold soda! That would be even cooler if it was a soda bottle.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[
The '5' is just a mould number. Many older Owens-style ABM bottles have a number on the heel of the bottle - usually a one or two digit number from 1 to 15, never a three digit number (they didn't have that many moulds)

Makes sense, since most bottle year dates are on the bottom. Thanks for that info!

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a lot of breweries made sodas during prohibition. Your bottle could have been a soda made by Narragansett during the prohibition years

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a lot of breweries made sodas during prohibition. Your bottle could have been a soda made by Narragansett during the prohibition years

Certainly possible, but the neck seems to suggest a beer bottle. It's also 16 ounces, which would be big for a soda bottle back then. And the bottle weighs a pound, so it's hard to imagine a little kid trying to wrestle with a two pound soda bottle (weight of bottle and contents)!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread