Green Demijohn

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi guys! While I prefer hitting the creek for bottles, I found this green demijohn at a local thrift that I couldn't resist buying for 9.99. I was wondering if you guys could help me get an age for it- there are some light scratches to the surface with heavy wear to the bottom, 3 pontil marks, a mold line that disappears at the base of the neck, and horizontal swirl lines on the body, neck and top. It's about 19 1/2 inches tall. There are bubbles in the glass, although it is not loaded with them, and there seemed like there was a small drip that was rotated smooth when the top was applied (not visible in photo). Let me know what you guys think, and thanks!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There are also chunks of iron/rust stuck to the bottom around the pontils (EDIT: it's not iron, it's tar), and around the bottom there seems to be another mold seam, tho I may be mistaken.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Also, I think this demijohn is a kidney shape? After reading Harry Pristis' Demijohn page, I would guess age at around 1860-1880?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty of a glass blower there. I have never seen three Pontil scars on a bottle before. I am assuming that it took three guys to blow one of these big demijohns. I really like the wear to the base, it has been sliding on many Counters and shelves for many years. Great buy, but I know nothin about these. They are right up Harry's alley though.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you! I appreciate the thoughtful insight tho! I was wondering why there were three as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread