Bottle with a story

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for having posted this bottle before. I had to move my bookcase which meant removing all the bottles from it. One of them re-kindled interest so I did some research. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467734972.484204.jpg common bottle but look at the base. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467735002.791712.jpg This company was sued by the actual Moses Atwood in 1883. They used his name and bottle style to cash in on the popularity of the original. Manhattan medicine claimed they had not trademarked the use of the name or bottle style. The court ruled in favor of Moses Atwood. You can read about the court case by googling Manhattan medicine co.

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real cool piece of history. It's easy to overlook that bottle. Glad you looked into it

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a bottle with similar story, the plaintiff was in the USA and the copyist was in Canada, if I remember the name on the bottle was Purifico. Never found another other bottle like it. Your bottle is really nice and in good shape and with a story like this, the value will gain I think.

GoingDigging

Jul 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. Guy had cojones stealing the entire bottle and changing only the part of the bottle least seen. A figurative 'ef you' to atwood.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated by Goldenplug, "the court ruled in favor of Moses Atwood."
That's when judges had something called common sense

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool history, every bottle has a story....if we look into it. Thanks for digging that up.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find rip-offs like this so funny for some reason. This is a good one. "You mean, make it the same, boss?" - "Yeah, the exact same but with our name on the bottom." Funny, because if they hadn't put their name on the bottom they probably would have continued to gain sales and avoid any trouble for a while. That's like leaving a confession with your name on it at the scene of your crime. Truly comedic.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the story about your bitter bottle, just curious to know if your bottle type is rare (hope it is). Good research on this one and thanks for sharing.
I think during those days, the hype on bitters was as high as the hype we can observe on micro-brewery beers nowdays. Each century has its hypes.

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, I don't know if it's rare. Maybe the ones with the bottom embossing? I doubt it though considering where it's from. NYC. And they could be all over the country because that company had a mailing business. I've dug probably about a dozen atwoods bitters in the last couple years and that's the only one I've found or heard of but I'm sure they are out there.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've never seen an embossed Atwood on the bottom. Think I have some Atwood bottles in my many boxes. I'll try to find them but they're all paneled bottles, so not as nice as yours. I'm getting the bottle bug again I think, but it's so difficult here to find old dumps. Only found 3 dumps so far but have a few hundred bottles in boxes, waiting for cleaning... but only a few rare ones. Good luck on your next dig or hunt Glodenplug!

OP
OP
Goldenplug

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You too Bill. Seek and you shall find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions