bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, got the chance to hit up a friend's spot yesterday in the mud (same spot that produced some great stuff I've posted previously including the wildly iridescent broken schnapps bottle) and it didn't disappoint. Even with only an hour spent digging this hot spot I did pretty well. The thing that clued me in on this area was this awesome Old Dr. J. Townsend's Sarsaparilla New York bottle in an amazing green that was just below the surface. Here's what I saw when I took away my shovel. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478447608.980796.jpg
Needless to say I knew I hit a good area. I kept digging and ended up with a sweet hutch, a nice blob and the crown top version, a different blown crown top, and a cool apothecary bottle. Overall my favorite is the Townsend's. It's by far one of my favorite dug bottles. Very wavy glass and such a killer color. There are unfortunately a few minor bruises but overall displays well. Any ideas on age? It's smooth base and tooled top. Thanks for looking ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478448023.827741.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478448044.238029.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478448057.797181.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478448071.395701.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478448095.673802.jpg

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a very good find indeed. I was reading not too long ago about these bottles. If I remember correctly, this may may be a copycat off the original Dr Townsend's. I'll have to go back and read it over again. I think there are several variants: Dr Townsend's, Dr J Townsend's, Old Dr Townsend's and Old Dr J Townsend's. maybe Jim knows more about it

Last edited:
OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a very good find indeed. I was reading not too long ago about these bottles. If I remember correctly, this may may be a copycat off the original Dr Townsend's. I'll have to go back and read it over again. I think there are several variants: Dr Townsend's, Dr J Townsend's, Old Dr Townsend's and Old Dr J Townsend's. maybe Jim knows more about it

You may be right, Bass. I've still got to dive into the research.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
The tooled lip suggests a late date for your Townsend's bottle, consistent with the other bottles, particularly the Hutchinson bottle, you found.

I don't remember enough history about the company, but I do know the earliest examples - 1840s, I think - are very dark black glass with a glass-tipped pontil scar . . . like this one:
drtownsends360.jpg

Later, the lip was still applied, and the bottle came in various shades of green and in blue-green like this one:

townsendsbluegreen.jpg
Let us know what you find out.

OP
OP
bottlehunterofcoscob

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I have confirmed that Old Dr. J. Townsend was a copy cat of the original, and yes this seems to be a later bottle. On greatantiquebottles.com there is a sold one very similar to mine that they say is circa 1895. Still need to do more research but that's where I'm at so far.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find!
HH
dts

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice !! Congrats !

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any find like this would brighten my day, nice bottle :occasion14:

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find in any condition. Love that color!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one, and from a shallow resting place at that. A few bumps and bruises is minor compared to what many shallow finds become....shards. congrats.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
a green embossed bottle is a great find no matter!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread