Any Milk Bottle Experts? Specifically NY area?

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this interesting milk bottle and I can't find anything about it...I know there is a family in Kingston, NY that run a dairy (Boice) - But I couldn't find any connection to this bottle. I do know there was a Herman Boice that lived in the Hudson area back in the early 1900's and was a Dairyman..but nothing more. Also couldn't find anything on the Summerset Farm or ANY other examples of this bottle. Thanks! :icon_scratch:

s8A6UeN.jpg

hiLzwQO.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Thatcher Mfg Co. Mark on the heel. They made lots of milk bottles and their mark changed as the manufacturing continued. Can you give a close up of the mark. It looks like TMC, and if it is you may get a better date span by noting how the mark look. Dont be fooled by milk bottle seams fading out in the neck , they look like BIM bottles but are press and blow machine made.

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably a small family run dairy, there were so many back then it seems, my dad's family even had one.

Wonder if there is any connection with this one though?

Boice Bros. Dairy

They say they've been around for 100 years serving the Hudson valley. No mention of a Herman in the history though, just a Harriette and a Helen...and didn't find mention of the farm.

You could always shoot them an email though just to check.

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoops...looks like you already checked that one out.

Sorry.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Herman Boice was born in April of 1874, in 1929 he is listed as a 'dairyman' at 443 Prospect St., then in the 1930 directory he's running Boice's Dairy at the rear of 523 Columbia St., his residence is still 443 Prospect St.. Starting in 1931, he moved a few blocks away to 258 Warren St. while continuing to operate his dairy business at 523 Columbia St. from 1934-37. I assume he was bottling and selling Summerset Dairies milk, I don't know where that dairy was located...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread