Lots of work ahead

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long story short my buddy has a contract with the City of Chas to allow them to dump all excavated dirt from where the are putting in new 40'x20' storm drains on peninsula on his property. Were he will eventually drain and fill in his pond.

He gave me a call and we started going through it. Lots of pluff mud, oyster and packed sediment but lots of bottles, leather,pipes frag, china, metal scrap bones etc. Extremely hard to metal detect at present but have been able to pick some surface stuff out. So far probably #100-#150 whole bottles and LOTS of heart breakers. Lots of broken historical flasks with embossing on them and so far 2 Cosgrove bottling btls. Everything is still wet and compacted but we are slowing turning it, drying it, searching, wetting drying and turning again.

Most exciting part so far is that 2/3 of surface picks have been pontiled glass, beers, wines, liquor, champagne, ink, poisons, food stuff, china and demi-johns. Buddy picked out a really nice 8 sided deep green umbrella ink but i didnt get a pick.

Once the pluff mud has been removed we will start metal detecting. My buddy originally planned to give me and our small team through the weekend but once I started showing him things and explaining the rarity of this opportunity he decided we could take our time and do it right.

So far the dirt from 1 strom drain has been dropped off by dump truck. Over the next two months they are digging 2 more. To give an idea of how much dirt we will be able to search you can see pond hole in back ground. He said when its all said and done the pond will be filled to top and then another 15ft higher around the edges.

Just surface picking we have 3 piles like one in pic of truck. Needless to say gonna be lots of work and lots of prioritizing and cleaning. Really pumped about being able to start sifting and detecting I kow there has to be some good relics, coins, ammo etc in approx 300,000 yards of Downtown Chas dirt. Luckily the dirt is not going anywere, its safe so we dont have to rush. Hopefully job and marriage will not take a hit. first big day out there will be friday.

i will update as I can

Few I brought home yesterday to clean. All pontilled, one ink and one champagne I believe with deep mold pontil base.

Lots of NY and Baltimore stuff

Following all are pontil
AB & D SANDS NEW YORK
RRR RADWAY & Co NEW YORK
LYONS KATHAIRON FOR THE HAIR NEW YORK Ink Pontil.jpg Ink.jpg PIles.jpg Pond.jpg Pontils.jpg truck.jpg Upright NY.jpg wine base.jpg Wine.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
You're into a great spot, might want to crop those pics so you don't give the location away. Up my way all kinds of guys would be putting their heads together to figure out the spot and they would dig it all night with headlights on their foreheads just to screw you over.... Good luck

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty cool. I'd volunteer to help if you were in my area. :icon_thumleft:

It saddens me to hear that someone wants to fill in their pond though... but I like to fish.

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to be able to take your time and get all the goods coming out of those loads. The examples of the 4 pontils are just a small percentage of the types of glass you'll be getting. Not to mention the coins and relics. Keep us posted and keep sending pictures. Wishing you success.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What fun! You lucky dogs. Beautiful bottles, and so many. Do keep us posted, this kind of thing makes the hairs on the back of our necks stand up!

sherm

Feb 8, 2017
mt jewett pa
Detector(s) used
minelab eurka gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly, you should go and buy a lottery ticket. Talk about lucky

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread