Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;
I have tumbled stones and glass shards for the past six years but recently figured out how to do bottle interiors and small bottles with my 2 drum set up. In addition I have finally ordered a bottle tumbling machine to do my exteriors as well.

In the past, as a final stage of tumbling after polish I always tumbled for a day with a teaspoon of Borax to clean off any residual film of polish, but that was when I was using plastic bead as a media. Now that I'm using cut copper for the media I'm not sure what the borax may do to the cut copper. I have read that some folks use BKF (Bar Keepers Friend ...oxalic acid) for a final post polish tumble. I tried BKF and it also changed the copper from black back to shiny clean. Will BKF eat my copper after a while?

If it is not a guarded secret, curious what folks use for a post tumble on bottles; BKF, detergent, nothing?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a bottle tumbler nor have I tumbled anything other than clad coins and rocks. I would think over time, any chemical solution would eventually eat away at the copper. You could try drying your copper and weighing it and doing the same after using it to see just how much less it weighs. I don't think it will be a substantial amount

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread