Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have this medicine which I believe to date in the very early 1900s. It has a rainbow patina on all sides which I assume is a result of the minerals in the glass reacting with the soil it was dug out of. My intent is to do a light interior tumble only, to remove some sickness and preserve the exterior as is.

Any recommendations as to what I can do to stabilize or protect the exterior during display?

IMG_3257 (2).JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice link Jim. Here's an experiment for you Dug. LIGHTLY spray the outside of the bottle with an aerosol clear coat. This will not be noticeable and will preserve the Benicia patina. Not to prevent tumbling damage. I would do it last after you've finished with whatever you are doing with the inside of the bottle

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's an experiment for you Dug. LIGHTLY spray the outside of the bottle with an aerosol clear coat. This will not be noticeable and will preserve the Benicia patina. Not to prevent tumbling damage. I would do it last after you've finished with whatever you are doing with the inside of the bottle

Thanks for the idea. I may try that on a junk bottle that has a little patina first. I notice that the slightest moisture on the glass and the iridescence temporarily disappears until the moisture dries out. I'd hate to have the clear coat do the same thing but not allow the patina to show. Will look for a candidate for my mad experiment tomorrow.

BTW, for those that are interested, I ran across this link that talked a little about it: http://www.peachridgeglass.com/2012/02/benicia-iridescence-and-patina-on-bottles-not-a-sick-bottle/

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you don't want to try that on one of your favorite pieces. Let me know how it turns out. Nice link, thanks for sharing

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No joy. As suspected the iridescence disappeared after I sprayed clear enamel on the glass last night and did not return even after it dried this morning. Upon soaking a rag with acetone I removed the enamel and the iridescence immediately returned. I suspect the surface of the glass must be etched in such a manner that it reflects or refracts the light providing the iridescence effect. My spraying the enamel or even wetting the surface must be altering the glass surface. Oh well.

My next mad science project is to get some tannic acid and see if I can actually produce some iridescence on some late 1880s junk bottles. My understanding is that Benicia is in reference to iridescent glass found in the bay of Benicia Calif as a result of acidic affluent drainage from a nearby tannery. Not sure if time and UV will be a factor.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, sorry to hear our experiment did not work. Like you, I believe the surface of the bottle has to dry and I thought once the clear coat dried it might have the same appearance.
Keep us updated on your results

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
My understanding is that Benicia is in reference to iridescent glass found in the bay of Benicia Calif as a result of acidic affluent drainage from a nearby tannery. Not sure if time and UV will be a factor.
That is the prevailing theory, it is found all over the country and the right soil conditions seem to be the deciding factor on how intense it gets. I have a bottle that was found in soil that gave every bottle dug there an orange peel effect, the inside of the bottles were smooth as the day they were made....

$$44$$$$$$$$$4ad1ox1l.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
leave it in the ground for another 2,000 years...

a-roman-green-glass-unguentariumcirca-early-3rd-century-a-d-.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread