Bottle maker repair or type of manufacture?

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was sorting through some of my smaller bottles and this small aqua colored Dr. Tichenor's caught my eye. Not sure why I did not notice it before, but it appears that a plate of glass has been added to the bottom of the bottle. As you can see in the pics there is a distinct seam all around the bottle with the exception of one point in the center where it almost looks like a weld spot.

Is this a repair or just a type of manufacture that I have not learned about yet?

IMG_3258 (2).JPG

IMG_3259 (2).JPG

IMG_3260 (2).JPG

IMG_3261 (2).JPG

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Not a repair, just a flap of molten glass that got pinched in the mold and folded over and then cooled when it was removed from the mold...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
....Sure does look like "repair"/addition though.
Wouldn't be worth the time to repair a paper label med bottle, not to mention it's machine made so it ended up like that on the conveyor belt...

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machine made bottles are blown in two molds, the first being sort of a "preform" mold which sorta mimics the earlier glassblowers rolling the gather on the marver, giving a little puff, and rolling again in an attempt to make the parison uniform in shape and wall thickness before inserting it into the full size mold. The lines on your bottle are probably remnants of those made by the first mold, although they sure are unusually prominent in this case, possibly due to temperature issues of the glass and/or the molds.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guys i do this type of stuff for a living... glass blowing and working on the equipment that is. So you all have lots of good ideas but Epackage nailed it. Was pushed into the mould too hard and folded the glass. it probably got stretched a bit much as was put into the mould and the gaffer just squished it down to make it fit.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few that look like yours, epackage is on the bullseye.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guys i do this type of stuff for a living... glass blowing and working on the equipment that is. So you all have lots of good ideas but Epackage nailed it. Was pushed into the mould too hard and folded the glass. it probably got stretched a bit much as was put into the mould and the gaffer just squished it down to make it fit.

The only problem is that this bottle was blown in an ABM, not by hand. There was no gaffer involved.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is that, going from parison mould to final mould, the glass is still molten and slowly changing shape, and the chances of the final mould closing perfectly around the formed bottle aren't that high, and so you'll get some flapping and overlapping, kind of like a square being pushed through a round hole, or vice versa - the glass isn't quite a liquid or solid, and so it retains those impressions left from the imperfect fit. It doesn't just go away like it would with water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread