Quick grabs

jihunter

Jan 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had literally 15 min at the spot and grabbed two off the surface during the storm.

1. Lynch & Clarke New York Mineral Water Saratoga 4 piece mold, research points early 1800s to 1833. Was upset about the lip being chipped but was really upset when i found out that it is an "extremely scare" bottle. saw an attic condition one sold for $4k at auction. One auction house has it listed as only 2-10 examples known to exist in the 4 piece mold. View attachment 1459684 View attachment 1459685 View attachment 1459686 View attachment 1459687 View attachment 1459688
Have not really cleaned it yet but the shape and embossing are super crude. Thinking bc of rarity it still has value.

2. Generic master ink, thin lip with large open pontil glass is very thin and has lots of cool dimples

Any additional info appreciated unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (6).jpg unnamed (7).jpg unnamed (8).jpg unnamed (10).jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
There are around 10 different variants of the Lynch & Clarke bottles, they have a wide range value wise, a great repair would cost you more than it would be worth in the end... Nice find, too bad about the damage

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what's left of the top, your L&C looks like one of the more common variants, not to take a thing away from it, because it's still a damn good bottle and pretty valuable if mint. The 4K+ example that you mentioned was the rare variant with the "medicine top". I've yet to see any Lynch & Clarke that looks like it was blown in a 4 piece mold, and won't believe it until I can hold one in my hands and then I'll be glad to eat my words, crow or whatever. All that I can see that the "experts" seem to think are mold lines is that faint "line" around and about halfway up the shoulder. I think this is where an existing mold was filled to decrease the neck diameter, resulting in that awkward slope and transition from shoulder to neck. Here are my two, and believe it or not they were blown in the same mold. I believe the one on the left is the earlier example, whose mold was later altered. The one on the right looks like it was blown into a mold that had seen quite a bit of use, having become worn and pitted from the repeated exposure to the high temperatures of the molten glass.

L&C.jpg

bottlehunterofcoscob

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2012
Southern CT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what's left of the top, your L&C looks like one of the more common variants, not to take a thing away from it, because it's still a damn good bottle and pretty valuable if mint. The 4K+ example that you mentioned was the rare variant with the "medicine top". I've yet to see any Lynch & Clarke that looks like it was blown in a 4 piece mold, and won't believe it until I can hold one in my hands and then I'll be glad to eat my words, crow or whatever. All that I can see that the "experts" seem to think are mold lines is that faint "line" around and about halfway up the shoulder. I think this is where an existing mold was filled to decrease the neck diameter, resulting in that awkward slope and transition from shoulder to neck. Here are my two, and believe it or not they were blown in the same mold. I believe the one on the left is the earlier example, whose mold was later altered. The one on the right looks like it was blown into a mold that had seen quite a bit of use, having become worn and pitted from the repeated exposure to the high temperatures of the molten glass.

View attachment 1459984

Holy mackerel those are two gnarly pieces of glass, sandchip!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jhunter, really sorry about the broken top. You could always saw off the top section at the shoulder and use it as a drinking glass, or leave as is. Wishing you continued success.

Sanchip, those are sweet bottles, thanks for showing them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread