Bottle Type and Cleaning question on another.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a plain bottle that I suspect may be a pontil manufacture but not sure. The bottle lacks a typical open ring on the base but does display a crude surface area where the pontil mark would be. The bottle has no seams at all and is very light in weight which tells me it is very thin walled and I need to proceed carefully when tumbling. Here are some pics of it:

IMG_3272 (2).JPG
IMG_3273 (2).JPG
IMG_3274 (2).JPG

I have another bottle that I will need to tumble in the future. It displays remains of some sort of wrapper adhesive that eventually hardened while being in the ground. Should I make an effort to remove the old adhesive before tumbling or make an effort to protect it? I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder but was wondering what the consensus is in the bottle community. Below is a pic of what I am describing.

IMG_3270 (2).JPG

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Looks like a pontil scar to me.
As far as leaving or removing metal foil (usually) from the neck, it's your call. I'd start with the conservative approach. If the remaining adhesions are unsightly, they can usually be removed with a wire brush or an acid dip.
Here's a bottle with some lead foil still adhering:

1760black.jpg

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That black on that blue just looks so darn cool to me, so personally I'd leave it just the way it is. I've removed a bit of foil with a blunted fork prong before, but it left a kind of mark, and it wasn't a bottle as nice as yours.

That pontiled one's a beauty too, I'd love to see the whole shape of these!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, lets see both of them completely if you don't mind

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry I did not include pics of the whole bottles, will do that in the future as well.

You can see I am dealing with a bad stain in the larger bottle. It has not responded to CLR or full strength muriatic acid. Was going to give acetone a shot before I try to tumble it out. Since it is so thin walled I do not plan to use anything stronger than 1200 brown fused grit.

IMG_3276 (2).JPG

IMG_3278 (2).JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose it could be worth a try to get that nasty stain out. I have a few pieces with stains that I tried to remove several times and eventually gave up. Thanks for the follow up pictures

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread