Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone!

Wrong forum, I know, but I wanted to show those of you here. I went back to the burnt-down house site, where I always seem to find something - I've found some amazing bottles, decent coins, that great Regiment of Riflemen button, and all sorts of relics, and this spot has probably become my favourite place to hunt, lots of memories. Anyway, yesterday was no exception. I decided to focus on the walkway leading to the front door (Bass made this suggestion a while back) and although the entire length of the path was littered with iron, I worked very slowly and managed to point out a few coins. I got three pennies along the front walkway: 1912, 1913, and 1915. A tree had grown around one of them, and so I had to wiggle the coin out of the old root, which was pretty cool. In the yard near the front driveway I found my oldest coin yet, an 1888 penny, my first Victoria, I kissed her. So, four coins in a few hours was a pretty good day for me. I'm still hoping for some big old silver! Here's the spread of all the coins that I've found at this site. The coins on the left were found within the foundations (burnt, two are even melted together) and the coins on the right were found outside. Most of the coins are from around 1910-1920, so I think that they probably had more money during this time. I've only found the earliest privy there, but if I can find the later one, I bet it'd be absolutely loaded with bottles! I might just have to bite the bullet and try the grid method, probe up and down until I get lucky. But I'm gonna have to wait until the vegetation settles down a bit.

When digging a signal there was this chisel-shaped stone thing in the hole. Does anyone know what this thing is?

Thanks for looking, good luck and happy hunting,

NJ

DSCF0509.JPG DSCF0524.JPG DSCF0539.JPG DSCF0542.JPG DSCF0544.JPG DSCF0555.JPG DSCF0550.JPG DSCF0561.JPG DSCF0570.JPG

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if that chisel thing is stone its an native american artifact

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if that chisel thing is stone its an native american artifact

It's like a black and green kind of granite or something, I'm not sure. I'm gonna ask over at the "What Is It?" forum and see what everyone there thinks, there's probably someone there who knows what kind of stone it is and if it makes sense for this region.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It's like a black and green kind of granite or something, I'm not sure. I'm gonna ask over at the "What Is It?" forum and see what everyone there thinks, there's probably someone there who knows what kind of stone it is and if it makes sense for this region.

It's called a celt, probably made of greenstone (metamorphic origin). These were traded widely a few thousand years ago. For example, in Florida the nearest greenstone exposures are in Northern Alabama/Georgia.

celts_greenstone.jpg [SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gettin' the tingles over here!

Harry, is there anything else you can tell me about it? How would I classify this? In a few words, what would you call it?

How long were these traded for? Is there an approximate age I could give it? Who would have used it and for what?

Sorry, this is all new to me. Thanks again!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I'm gettin' the tingles over here!

Harry, is there anything else you can tell me about it? How would I classify this? In a few words, what would you call it?

How long were these traded for? Is there an approximate age I could give it? Who would have used it and for what?

Sorry, this is all new to me. Thanks again!

I urge you to do a google search for "celt greenstone in Ontario" to see what you can find. Age is dependent on context . . . In Florida, these can be found where the lithic artifacts are mainly Archaic.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's definitely a celt. I have 1 or 2 stowed away in the Bass archived Native American warehouse (my attic). That's a great find and many congrats on the coin recoveries. Couldnt have happened to a better person.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the grid method for privy probing. Done it myself and it is usually successful. I would advise probing every 2-2 1/2 feet. Keep us updated if you go back for more coins.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for the tip, Bass! The grid seems like such a chore, but I guess you don't always get lucky with the visible sink spots and you just have to do the work instead.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright everyone, I've marked my "What Is It?" thread as solved. It sounds like everyone here, and there, is confident that it's a genuine celt, so I'm going to start calling it a celt!

Thank you for your help! I'm very happy about this one.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The celt is somethin !!!!!!! Congrats !!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, ive been keeping up with your threads on the celt. Congrats on the fantastic finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread