$1400? Really?

GRUMPDOGX

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fokes,
I'm new to the forum and hopefully I can get some advice. So I started collecting glass around 2 years ago along with some other things I enjoy collecting and a few months ago I scored a small box with around a dozen soda bottles... After doing my homework over the past few months I ended up with just 1 bottle I couldn't find anything on...RARE-OLD-AQUA-STRAIGHT-SIDE-PEPSI-COLA-8-SIDE-BOTTLE-RICHMOND-VA-
Well a couple of days ago Idk why but I tried the right words in my search engine and i found this : I have to say the price kinda blew me away. I do know that some glass can get up there in price and that's no big surprise but can this bottle really be worth the kind of cash he's askin? Ohh can't believe I didn't say this already but the bottle I've got is almost the same 1 as in the auction I linked. With a few small differences, his is green(ish) and 1 year older... Younger... No older... Hmm his bottom was made in 1927 and mine is a 1926 model also mine is not green. Has no scuff marks from being in a case like his and less nics in the glass it self... My intention is to sell the one I've got, but I figured it would be a good idea to get some advice on how to price it before putting it up... Of course I will post some pics of mine bottle and after that's all said and done ive for 1 more thing to ask about. Buts 1st things 1st.... Let me thank anyone out there who's able and willing to throw me some useful tips on this subject... Thanks for you time and reading my posting. May the sun always light your path and may you never stumble or fall...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"...I've got is almost the same 1 as in the auction I linked." What link?

How about posting some complete pictures of the bottle you are asking about?

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, we need pics and the link to the sale as well. When it sold is relevant. Selling a like bottle soon after another sells big is usually a mistake, because the top bidder has one and won't be a player the second time around unless it's a big upgrade conditionwise. Seems like I remember that bottle if it sold on ebay. Even if one sold for $xx.xx, thinking you can stick it on there starting your bidding at the same amount will usually result in it sitting there for the duration with zero bids. The good bottles that get the action have a low starting bid of $0.99 or $9.99 and the serious bidders will take it from there. Put a reasonable reserve on it if you must, but remember, most folks despise reserves, especially when they are set so high that they never come off, resulting in the bidders giving up and dropping out. Hope this helps and good luck.

OP
OP
G

GRUMPDOGX

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. 20171015_182803.jpg

Let see if that worked...

OP
OP
G

GRUMPDOGX

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the bottom of the bottle by the VA. Is saids G26 I could be completely worng on the 1 but from with I have found out trying to do my homework this bottle was only made for a few years. From 24 to 27 so mine is from 1926 and the 1 in that auction is from 1927. Also Let me ask. It the fact that mine is still clear and his is green which 1 is more desirable?

OP
OP
G

GRUMPDOGX

Tenderfoot
Oct 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the bad grammar and small mis-spells I'm doing all this from my phone...

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottle he is selling is listed in Jim Ayers Pepsi-Cola bottles collectors guide vol 2. It lists for 300 dollars. He is just trying to get a premium price for it.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, he could put an asking price of a million on it, but it damn sure don't mean it's worth it. It's worth what it actually sells for and then, only to the buyer and the seller at that moment. Any item sold at auction is worth a little less to the underbidder, a little less to the third man down and so forth. There are as many values for any given item as there are people on the planet. I don't think folks will ever get that though.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a damn nice bottle !!! I would be proud to have that in my collection. Wow !! Congrats !!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple tips to keep in mind (nice bottle, by the way!)
if you have something 'almost like' one that's $$$$, almost isn't enough. It's the little things that make a difference- including (but not limited to) color
When checking out sales and prices of bottles (and other things too), look at the price it sold for and not the asking price.
(I'm currently selling my old bedroom slippers for 1 mil. Takers??!) ;)
Keep at it! You'll get the hang of it in time- and these guys and gals are a great help :thumb_up:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread