Looking to get a date range on a bottle dump.

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not looking for anything super specific, or for values or anything crazy like that. I just kind of want to get an idea on around when people think this little bottle dump I found would have been in use. But if there is anything interesting anyone could provide some insight on, I'd be appreciative. These are mostly just the bottles I found with embossing on them, but some of the unmarked ones I've found have had bits of cork still in them. If anyone more clarification, I can always take more pictures.

Dba_6-9V0AA8rG1.jpg
Dba_6_qVMAAXXSs.jpg
Dba_7eeUQAAxank.jpg
Dba_6_qV0AANUMQ.jpg
DbbAGlLVMAIpPBf.jpg
DbbAGzWU0AA7gJJ.jpg
DbbAPXtVAAETHVn.jpg
DbkSipaUQAEmjOf.jpg
DbkSij_V4AAX8vH.jpg
Db4hhZEVAAExtXE.jpg
Db4htWvV0AA-CQ8.jpg
Db4iFndVAAE-yZM.jpg
Db4iFnkVAAEt6nD.jpg
Db4iFnYVwAAOR4L.jpg
Db4iOPFVQAE05sb.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A shot in the dark here, late 1800s into early 1900s?

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start digging .Some of it looks like it could be from the early 1900's Some is probably newer .But it might be some older things deeper and even if it is not you will get some nice items from the looks of your pictures .

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1950's, all the bottle were ABM (automatic bottle machine) That broken base looked a bit older however, dig down the oldest is always on the bottom ;)

OP
OP
Minamik

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1950's, all the bottle were ABM (automatic bottle machine) That broken base looked a bit older however, dig down the oldest is always on the bottom ;)

Oh, yeah, don't plan on stopping anytime soon. It just keeps producing, haha. I can throw up some pictures of some of the non embossed stuff too if anyone is interested in seeing that.

OP
OP
Minamik

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little more detail on some of the stuff, plus a bonus insulator!
Db978ywUwAAVZUU.jpg
Db978ywU0AEIxSw.jpg
Db978ywVwAY-cUe.jpg
Db978y3U0AAOWrC.jpg
Db98KuVV4AAshcn.jpg
Db98KuVVAAAk8on.jpg
Db98KuXV4AA6Dev.jpg
Db98KuXVQAAbRAW.jpg
Db98XnOUwAA5XBe.jpg
Db98XnOU0AA2k3j.jpg
Db98XnOU0AE_jdC.jpg
Db98XnPU0AE_AjA.jpg
Db98jIwUwAAk4eS.jpg

OP
OP
Minamik

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Splitting into two posts, since I got logged out during my first attempt, haha.
Db98jIyVMAAt3su.jpg
Db98jIyUwAAoFQo.jpg
Db98jIvVMAE0sdP.jpg
Db98vgnV0AUtZIN.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, they arent all that new. There is a mix of dates, certainly. Some are newer, probably up to about the WW2 era, but some are obviously much older. Most "snake oil" medicine bottles went out of us in the early 1900s. Some of these are very clearly from the 1890s - early 1900s

PS - if you do a google search on dating bottles there are lots of clues to age that arent really clear in the pic. Bubbles in the glass is one indicator, mold lines, and where they stop are another. Lip style is another.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minamik

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, they arent all that new. There is a mix of dates, certainly. Some are newer, probably up to about the WW2 era, but some are obviously much older. Most "snake oil" medicine bottles went out of us in the early 1900s. Some of these are very clearly from the 1890s - early 1900s

PS - if you do a google search on dating bottles there are lots of clues to age that arent really clear in the pic. Bubbles in the glass is one indicator, mold lines, and where they stop are another. Lip style is another.

Alright, thanks for the tip! Will look into it some time.

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the patent numbers and date codes looks like mostly 30-50s. One medicine bottle and the broken amber base (looks like a beer) could be from around 1910.

Last edited:

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wide date range, lots of corktop stuff that looks 1920s1930s like previous have said.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Looks like you've got an amethyst ABM something or other there, so with that being the earliest, I'd say 1915 - 1950s. Only a couple items that you've shown fit into the earlier end of that timeline, most are from the 40s and 50s. Keep digging!

EDIT: more like 30s and 40s for the newer stuff, not really 50s, sorry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minamik

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Looks like you've got an amethyst ABM something or other there, so with that being the earliest, I'd say 1915 - 1950s. Only a couple items that you've shown fit into the earlier end of that timeline, most are from the 40s and 50s. Keep digging!

Cool! Thanks! I'd show the pile of broken stuff...but it'd only serve to break my heart all over again, lol.

OP
OP
Minamik

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the patent numbers and date codes looks like mostly 30-50s. One medicine bottle and the broken amber base (looks like a beer) could be from around 1910.

The saddest part about that broken one? It's basically from my hometown. How frustrating, haha. Must keep digging! I think this is what it would look like whole. s-l1600.jpg

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The saddest part about that broken one? It's basically from my hometown. How frustrating, haha. Must keep digging! I think this is what it would look like whole. View attachment 1584666

Well that one is blown and a little earlier, probably c.1900-1910. If you've got enough evidence of old stuff, then it's probably there! 'Might just be a little deeper, or somewhere nearby.

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dont forget to grab up some info at the local historical society in the area which you are at.. they may be able to really provide some neat insight and info.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Not much I can add that's not already been said. Screw top lids is one thing, they became more common after first world war. The pic. w/measurement's was probably a medicine bottle for couph syrup etc. and were still used into early 70's at least. Second pic. is probably cold cream for ladies (white). A lot of bottles will have manufacture date on the bottom starting in the 30's. Good luck.

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug quite a few of those brown Certo bottles in some old farm dumps from the 1930's and 1940's. I think they're pretty common but I've kept a few as they are interesting. Certo is a fruit pectin used as a gelling agent when making jams and jellies. It is still sold today in powdered form in pouches not bottles. Nice digs!

arrington

Jan 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1890's and up. The California Fig Syrup is a decent bottle. Keep digging !

OP
OP
Minamik

Minamik

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug quite a few of those brown Certo bottles in some old farm dumps from the 1930's and 1940's. I think they're pretty common but I've kept a few as they are interesting. Certo is a fruit pectin used as a gelling agent when making jams and jellies. It is still sold today in powdered form in pouches not bottles. Nice digs!

Haha, it certainly threw me for a loop when the first thing I saw was upside down writing on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread