Mar 8, 2009
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer (Waterproof)
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the "Washengton" is misspelled on the bottle. I can't find any info online about it. (With an exception of a listing on Ebay but they don't provide any more info in their description)
I read on another forum that someone claimed that it was a fake, but I'm doubting that statement because I don't see a "Seam" so it's not formed or pressed the way newer bottles are made. I am more inclined to believe that someone wouldn't go to so much trouble to make a forgery.
In the photos you can see the dates 1755-1825 on the Adams side and 1732-1799 on the Washengton side.
Note there are bubbles within the glass, and I am thinking that that also could be a sign that it is older, I'm not so sure that the glass makers years ago had a quality standard. I would think it was more about producing more pieces per day to sell more product.
I am not a bottle collector, but when I uncovered this and a few other [relics?] and noticed some of the features I just mentioned, I admit I got a little excited.
Anyone know something about this beauty?
Much appreciated,
Thanks

Attachments

• 20180618_130504b-small.jpg
    20180618_130504b-small.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20180618_130533b-small.jpg
    20180618_130533b-small.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 107
  • 20180618_130657b-small.jpg
    20180618_130657b-small.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 101

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Fantasy bottle made in the 1970's most likely, decorator value only

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, what Jim said. Unfortunately it's a relatively modern bottle, looks like it might be machine made too, judging by the horizontal seam just below the top of the bottle.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never judge a bottle by seamlines,bubbles or misspellings. Although they do help interpret the bottle, there is more to concider. An experienced eye and bottle knowledge will nearly always spot the repro.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I told you on AB-net that it's a modern fantasy piece. You need to listen to us old folks and quit searching for the answer that you want to hear. There are "seams" present on your bottle or more accurately, mold lines, but in the case of bottles blown by machine, the air in the mold is pulled out by vacuum as the bottle is blown in, reducing the need for a gap between the mold halves which results in more prominent mold lines found on the earlier hand blown bottles.

It's not a fake or reproduction, because there is no original bottle like this to copy. There are reproductions, adaptations and fantasy pieces, all different things. Yours would fall into the latter category.

Last edited:

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just because a bottle looks cured is not a indication that it is old .

OP
OP
R2D2andMe

R2D2andMe

Greenie
Mar 8, 2009
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer (Waterproof)
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your advice and information. And I meant no disrespect to everyone who gave me previous facts, but I wanted to make sure all of my avenues were explored. *I have had a few occasions where I was given misleading info and didn't do my due diligence and as a result, felt like a heal in the end. It just goes to show, that no matter how long one practices his or her craft, there's ALWAYS more to learn. Thanks again, happy hunting and many good fortunes to you all.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you all for your advice and information. And I meant no disrespect to everyone who gave me previous facts, but I wanted to make sure all of my avenues were explored. *I have had a few occasions where I was given misleading info and didn't do my due diligence and as a result, felt like a heal in the end. It just goes to show, that no matter how long one practices his or her craft, there's ALWAYS more to learn. Thanks again, happy hunting and many good fortunes to you all.
You never can be sure if you don't ask, better to be safe than sorry...

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...It just goes to show, that no matter how long one practices his or her craft, there's ALWAYS more to learn...

And that goes for us all, and the best of luck to you as well.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eh, no worries man, I probably would have done the same thing. The more opinions you get from different people, the better the idea you form for yourself.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread