Bottle Questions

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This bottle is 9-1/2" tall with THIS BOTTLE NOT TO BE SOLD embossed below a pronounced oval spot where the paper label would have been. The seam ends about 1-1/2" below the top of the bottle. The seams are very distinct and the bottle is almost flat where the seams are. Is this a soda bottle? Is it a blob top? What approximate age is it. Any info would be great! Thanks for looking.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pic of the lip would help . But it sounds like a beer

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics didn't upload, Still wont. Not sure why.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry pics will not upload, will keep trying.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2018-07-18 020.JPG 2018-07-18 017 - Copy.JPG

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice looking bottle. I am far from knowledgeable, but I thought blob tops were fatter and rounder. I am up for learning here when the experts chime in.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought so too, not sure what type of top this is but it's the only one I've found.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK got a few pics to upload

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A blob would be more rounded. I usually call this type of finish a 'square' to keep it simple, but it has many names. Here's a great page about the different finishes. Yours is number 8, but yours is not an applied finish like the one in the picture. Rather, the glass was tooled to this shape while still molten (that's why the seam fades). It looks like a late blown bottle, probably around 1910-ish give or take. Beer isn't a bad guess!

https://sha.org/bottle/finishstyles.htm#English Ring

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like a wine bottle to me. My wife is the expert. On drinking it that is.:laughing7:

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely pre 1915, probably around 1905 and most likely a beer bottle.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusty That is a nice bottle .I have found a few that are similar to it . They are some of my favorite all time bottle finds .Thanks for posting and asking the question .

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with it being a beer, but would probably expand the dates of manufacture from 1890-1910. It's a shame there's no embossing in that slug plate. I sometimes joke that there must have been an ordinance against embossed bottles in the 1800s in my hometown, which would have been better named Slicksville.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with it being a beer, but would probably expand the dates of manufacture from 1890-1910. It's a shame there's no embossing in that slug plate. I sometimes joke that there must have been an ordinance against embossed bottles in the 1800s in my hometown, which would have been better named Slicksville.

I agree with that date range, def looks early machine made. Those bottle machine nearly eliminated child labor in the us almost overnight.

OP
OP
C

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that oval shaped depression where the paper label would go is called a slug plate? Cool, I'm learning. Thanks!

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So that oval shaped depression where the paper label would go is called a slug plate? Cool, I'm learning. Thanks!

Yep, yours has a blank slug plate. A slug plate was a removable piece of the mould that could be swapped out in order to feature the names of many different clients, so that the glassworks could make bottles for your beer, my beer, and so-and-so's beer, without having to create an entirely new mould. My theory is that if the brewer (or pharmacist, perfumer, etc) couldn't afford to pay a mould maker to cast his own personalized plate, or if the product was going through a trial period and wasn't quite ready for the big time, then he got the blank plate. My guess is that the label would have gone on the other side anyway, but I'm not sure. In the end, your bottles and my bottles would look virtually identical in shape and size, but our individual plates would differentiate our bottles (but then there are variations in colour, bubbles in the glass, potential whittle from a cold mould, the uniqueness of the tooled top, etc).

Last edited:

cje

Apr 7, 2009
clinton ma
Detector(s) used
minelab sovereign xs
I count these as blobs. The stopper would have been held in place by a bail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread