Need help identifying this

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this fragment of a very old bottle where I am also finding civil war relics. I don't know if this bottle was that old but maybe it was. Can anyone who has expertise in bottles help me identify what exactly this type of bottle would've been?
Thanks for any assistance.

13246578.JPG

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Might be a drinking glass. Just a guess tho. Seen clear pieces similar. What’s the base show if anything? Jgas.

GreenHorn

Aug 6, 2007
South Carolina
Not a bottle. Early Telegraph there. The shard is a piece of a CD723 dot-dash wade insulator. 1850's time frame. Actually had a wood covering over it that helped protect the glass. Lemme see if I can attach a pic below of the whole set-up....

covered wade.jpg

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a nice find to me, even broken. The wooden cover was supposedly to keep the Injuns from trying to break 'em and disrupt communications. I've got an old picture somewhere of one with an arrowhead embedded in the wooden cover. Might be worth scouring the area.

OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks. Even broken, I'll certainly take it. The camp I was hunting and finding civil war relics is right by a railroad that has been there since the 1830's. It now makes sense that this would be there too.

GreenHorn

Aug 6, 2007
South Carolina
That would be a nice find to me, even broken. The wooden cover was supposedly to keep the Injuns from trying to break 'em and disrupt communications. I've got an old picture somewhere of one with an arrowhead embedded in the wooden cover. Might be worth scouring the area.

I've seen the picture if its the same one. This one is from a 1987 CJOW I believe..

wadearrowhead.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread