Duraglas help?

KCat

Nov 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm hoping some of you are better at this than I am, because I'm stumped!
I found part of the bottom of a round green bottle with some letters and numbers and wanted to see if I could date it based on that. It's the upper right corner of the bottom so it says [cut off section] 861 and under it a cursive l and as. I figured out that the "las" is the end bit of "duraglas" so it's from the Illinois-Owens glass company but a couple of things have stumped me:

The bottom isn't stippled??? the sha bottle page says they started making duraglas in 1940 and almost immediately started doing the stippling--does this mean that this is from one of the first duraglas bottles they produced? Or did certain plants either not adopt or stopped doing the stippling?

The other part that has me stuck is the code! I think based on the position of the numbers in relation to the "duraglas" part puts it in the plant code area? Or maybe mold code? It would have been in the top region, but it doesn't end in a letter like on the guide to reading OI base codes...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard KCat! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

photo_camera.gif
2nd - A picture(s) is worth a zillion words! If you are having problems posting pictures - take a look at: How to post pictures with your story...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Almost impossible to date without the entire base, but you are right on the Duraglas date starting in 1940

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also almost impossible to help without a good picture of the fragment in question.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need help getting a picture up just ask

A2coins

Gold Member