Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

I made a thread exactly a year ago today with the same title, and that dig really did end up being the last dig of last year. So here we are again, December 16th, and by the looks of it, the ol' digging barometer might just be right again. It's cold, it's windy, the ground's starting to get hard, but worst of all is the water and mud where it's not frozen yet, it's reaaaally messy. I bought a new pair of boots a couple weeks ago, first new pair I've bought in a long time, they were going to be my "nice boots" - haha, yeah right! That didn't last long...

Anyway, I did go back to the Merchant site first, because I had to solve that trash pit / privy / septic mystery. I went through a foot of gravel in different directions, way wider than a privy pit would have been, and so I'm fairly certain that there's nothing underneath. It's gotta be some septic bed, or, now I'm starting to wonder if it's natural. I dug holes in other areas and still hit this same type of gravel. I'm still scratching my head about that place, but I'm closing the file on that one for now, I'll go back in the spring. I did a small bit of detecting as well, found a busted reigns guide and some clad.

Yesterday I went for a looong walk to retrieve a light smoky aqua half gallon Ball jar that I left at a dump. I hadn't even dug this dump yet, the jar was a surface find that I originally couldn't carry back. But I brought my shovel and my scratcher just in case, and ended up digging for a couple hours. I had to chop through a frozen crust, and then there was about three feet of clay to get through, but it came off pretty easily if I sunk my shovel in and pried it out toward me. I ended up finding a bunch of fruit jars, most of them from the 40s and 50s. Along with the Ball jar, I took home my third Perfect Seal variant, this one's from around 1930, and an older half gallon Crown, it's sicker than a dog and has a one inch flash crack, but it looks okay from this side, until something better comes along.

On the way home I walked the train tracks for part of the way, and spotted a marble in the rocky bed that the tracks sit on. It was fairly close to a crossing, so maybe some kid lost it there. It's pretty crude though, it's got a lot of deep clefts in the glass, I'm not sure how old it is. A strange find, anyway. I'll go ask the marble guys.

So yeah, after that Merchant site, this was definitely a huge change in pace, haha. But, I have a soft spot for these more modern dumps, reminds me of when I first started, searching for that one late throw.

I think this might be it for the year! There's one upcoming day that I might try to dig, but I'm not going to force anything. Of course I'm still going to be hiking around looking for new spots, so hopefully I can bring home a cool surface find or something over the winter months. And I'll still try my best to be active here, to help with ID's, etc.

Go find some glass, and come back here and share it! Good luck and happy hunting,

NJ

DSCF7600.JPG DSCF7604.JPG DSCF7641.JPG DSCF7663.JPG DSCF7667.JPG DSCF7670.JPG DSCF7672.JPG DSCF7675.JPG DSCF7680.JPG DSCF7770.JPG DSCF7765.JPG

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW, you can still dig up there?? I like the jars. Guess I have a soft spot for them.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, you can still dig up there?? I like the jars. Guess I have a soft spot for them.

Just barely. It's becoming more and more difficult to stay dry and warm and not completely covered in mud!

Jars are awesome, I like them as much as bottles. I'm blown away by how many unique jars I've found this year, it was a great year for jars.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
9d9baf7600bda165a7ef38782d6b48f1.jpg Nice digs and finds.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Just barely. It's becoming more and more difficult to stay dry and warm and not completely covered in mud!

Jars are awesome, I like them as much as bottles. I'm blown away by how many unique jars I've found this year, it was a great year for jars.

I would like to post pics of all the different jars I have, but for me anyway it's tough to get a good pic.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to post pics of all the different jars I have, but for me anyway it's tough to get a good pic.

I'd love to see 'em! And I believe that anyone can take a good picture as long as they've got plenty of natural light. If you're trying to take a picture in your basement with a cellphone and you don't have a steady hand, you're gonna have a hard time. Cellphones are super convenient, but I'd argue that they're still far more frustrating than a manually operated camera. People always overthink it, but it's quite simple if you think about the camera like any ordinary human eye:

Aperture = how open/closed the eye is
Shutter speed = how long/short a time the eye is open for
ISO/gain = how sensitive the eye is to light (the higher the ISO or gain, the more grainy the image)
White balance = how the eye sees white based on the light source

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And over in the Marble corner, the one and only cheese has identified the "railroad marble". These quick and crude marbles are a way of transporting glass for use elsewhere. Woo, my first railroad marble! I like it.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
And over in the Marble corner, the one and only cheese has identified the "railroad marble". These quick and crude marbles are a way of transporting glass for use elsewhere. Woo, my first railroad marble! I like it.

SUPER discovery!! Congratulations.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig to end the year! What happened to that tree, beaver? Never heard of railroad marbles so I did a quick search, very interesting! Here's an article explaining the use of some railroad marbles:
Railroad Marbles - Railroadiana Online

Very cool read. Thanks for the info, Crusty! I'll be mixing this marble in with the other toy marbles I've found, but I'll never look at it the same way. Now when I walk the tracks, not only will I be keeping my eyes peeled for insulators, but these sneaky little marbles as well. I'd love to find a coloured one!

And yep, it was a beaver. I've seen much larger trees chewed right through! It's really just insane what they can do with nothing but their front teeth...

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have to take a walk on the tracks now.. I have walked them looking for insulators (only found one broken) never would have thought to look for marbles on the railroad tracks!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pertty cool finds I like those jars I once found an old mound with tons of lids but not jars Well done till next year Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread