High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Good going!! Looks like you could be on course for something big.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what is in this hole . .But from what I am finding I think I am getting close to an area where it will be more glass and bottles than other junk .But I have not idea how far I am from that layer This is larger and older than what I have found in the past

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
In it to win it now. The fever has hit and nothing going to stop ya until the pontils start popping up. Looks like a great site ya got there. Looks like a great start to the possibility of months of great digging. Love it. Keep it coming. Jgas.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have been removing lots of broken bottles ,pottery and other assorted trash I have found a few non glass items that have caught my eye Here is a picture of some of them The one is a pie plate, and the round disk is the bottom of a tea kettle .The smaller round object has threads inside which indicates it was a part of a machine .The other is cast iron but I have no idea what it was a part IMG_1733.jpg of .It is in rather good condition for as long as it must have been buried in the ground

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know how old it might be? Do yo have a picture of them Thanks

Here ya go. The one with the applied top has "Apothocaries" on the back panel, while the tooled top doesn't but has "Compound Extract" on the front while the applied top doesn't. The tooled top example came out of the attic of an old house next door to where I live. The house dates to the 1850s so I was really hoping for some pontils. I've come up empty probing so far, but they've got to be there somewhere. I think the Hoods date from 1870 to 1900 but somebody else may have better info. I've never researched them.

hoodsA.jpg hoodsA1.jpg hoodsA2.jpg
hoodsT.jpg hoodsT1.jpg hoodsT2.jpg

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been able to get back to digging for over a week .My last dig was cut short by a cut .Even though I had on a good pair of leather gloves a sharp piece of metal cut right through them and gave me a small cut on the finger .It was not all that bad but to be on the safe side I stopped loaded my stuff in the truck and headed for home to clean up the cut .It always pays to be safe when we are out there digging around in old rusty trash .I keep my tetanus shots up to date and never dig without gloves It is just about completely healed and I hope to dig several days this week Here is a picture of a few of the finds I had on that day There are 2 different types of Heinz bottles and the brown one has ESKAY'S on the bottom along with Pat July 11 93.The one Heinz bottle has H J Heinz PATENTED and the #7 .The other has PATENTED MARCH 14 1882 HEINZ and the number 7 Sate View attachment IMG_1766.jpg safe while you are out digging

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hope you find that real rare one.:icon_thumright:

Greeneman215

Aug 4, 2012
Central NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great dump!! Nothing like finally finding that spot you've searched and searched for, getting in the ground and pulling out great bottles! What a feeling! Looks like an awesome spot! Keep us posted!!

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size of it is very large compared to anything I have every dug before with one possible exception . The first time I ever started digging for old bottles a friend had found an old cellar hole . And it was all grown up with some fairly large trees around it and on it .With those trees was a good amount of poison ivy .At that time I did not get it so I started digging along with the guy that had found the dump to begin with .Well I learned quickly no getting it from brushing against it and digging in it's roots was not the same . We both had a serious case of poison ivy in a few days .On my face, hands, arms and body required a visit to the doctor to clear it up .And put a stop to digging that spot anymore This spot I found simply by riding over it while operating a piece of farm machinery over it .I noticed a good amount of broken pieces of old bottles scattered around many groundhog holes .Without much effort I found about 5 or 6 bottles that where old laying near the holes or just under the surface Fast forward about a dozen years to this summer I relocated the site and have been digging since the end of Oct. I have yet to locate anything really old .But I have not yet gotten to the oldest part of the dump .The area is quite large and I am down about 4 to 5 feet. The broken items are numerous but as I continue to get deeper I am finding larger pieces and small whole bottles mixed in with some larger items .I have moved a lot of dirt and I now realize I will need to move it back further because the area is bigger than I thought to start with .But I am finding items I never had before and I suspect that will go on for a while . This is the find of a life time for me .It may not be as old as what others have dug but for me it is a large dump and it contains the oldest things I ever found .Tomorrow I will be moving more dirt and going full badger as someone suggested earlier

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard people say well is just a hole in the ground .I am getting a hole in the ground for sure Some things just don't make it and some do I had some of each today It is hard to see something I don't have turn out broken but it is fun when you pull out a bottle you never knew ex View attachment 1773644 isted until a few minutes ago IMG_1786.jpg IMG_1789.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a blast to dig. Good luck keep rippin

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks A2 Yes it has be fun .Every time I go I know I will find a bottle that I never found .And most of the time 3 or 4 . I still have not hit bottom and the broken stuff is more glass than what I removed so far and the pieces are larger Hoping for some older glass but will be happy to just add new items to my collection .Had several nice items last time that where broken but I suspect I will end up with more of them that are not broken . I have health issue that keep me for digging more than an hour or two at a time . And the location is not real close to get to .Add it up and throw in the recent Thanksgiving holiday I have not been able to get there in more than 2 weeks .I t is killing me !!!When I get out I end up wishing I could stay til dark Plus frozen ground could happen any day.Hope that waits a bit longer to start

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks with three or four rainy days followed by three days of lows in the twenties have kept me from returning to digging . I am really getting antsy to find more old bottles that I have not ever found before So far I have at least 25 or more new finds here . I need to remember I first found this spot in 2001 . So with Christmas this week digging will remain on a future list of things to do But I might get out at least once this week

wilcam47

Dec 29, 2019
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are shards desireable? One dump site i found some bottles that were broke or just pieces.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking old bottles. Stay at it, and best of luck to you.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are shards desireable? One dump site i found some bottles that were broke or just pieces.

Very rarely unless it's a piece off an extremely rare and early bottle and even then, monetary value is minimal. Usually, it's an individual, personal thing whether or not broken bottles are kept.

OP
OP
G

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking old bottles. Stay at it, and best of luck to you.

Yes it has been a little while since I have been there to dig .The Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays plus rainy weather along with some daytime highs in the 20 have just not given me much of a window of oppurtunity to even think about getting there But it keeps eating at me to get back at it before some real winter hits It is about an hour round trip also which means if I don't have much time it is not worth going at all .But it has been the best spot I have ever dug .I have barely started to uncover what I think will become really great items . Some of the pieces and broken glass gives me hope for many great things yet to come In the past I would save some items that where broken or chipped if I thought it was unlikely to find a complete good item just like it later ,Here there is so much to sort through that if it is damaged more than a little I just put it aside .With the idea that I will find a better example later For example I have found 2 Warranted Flasks .I have no idea how many broken parts I have dug but it is a lot . At some point I hope I can pull up a few good ones to even the balance of broken to good ones .Right now I hope I can go yet this week .I think I have some time and the weather will be mild enough to give it a try .If that holds it might be a long day . I mean that in the best possible way IT could be a Happy New Years Day start to 2020

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread