WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at the fruit jar show in Muncie, In. on Saturday. It was quite cool, and we were spying bottles and jars that we had collected ourselves over the years. One of the things I spied was a German clay bottle priced at $200.00. I didn't pick it up for fear of breaking it and well, that would not be good. So I don't know what was written on that bottle to make it valuable. Here is a pick of the one I have. If any one could give me any information as in worth and age, I would appreciate it. Oh, and mine is damaged, so maybe it is only worth the $2.00 I paid for it. :tongue3:

refind german bottle.JPG

refind german bottle 2.JPG

refind german bottle 3.JPG

refind german bottle 4.JPG

Thanks for looking,

Sis

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless there was something that you may have overlooked, $200 is waaay too steep and you did the right thing, these types of European bottles are extremely common and have little to no appeal to most collectors in North America, unless used for a doorstop or vase, they are popular decor pieces.

One possibility for the high price is that the brewer/bottler on the German stoneware bottle came to America and became a household name. Or, another possibility is that the bottle was actually made in North America, and North American stoneware naturally fetches more here. It could have just been the show too, some vendors will jack their prices knowing that the room is filled with potential buyers, lots of urge and impulse, lots of money moving around.

Anyway, the example you've shown in your pictures is almost certainly European and worth closer to $2 than $200. A beautiful bottle nonetheless!

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. At least I didn’t get snookered. Back on the shelf it goes.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
WD
I’m guessing 50 to 80. Is just comes down to who needs it for a collection or not.
That’s a nice specimen.

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Rook. It was something that I was attracted to for decor and couldn't pass up at the time.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one of those once I was shocked because it was and is in rather good condition Mine has Nassau Selters stamped on the front, inside of the lettering is a type of bird .On the back under the handle it is stamped NUM 157 Not sure how old it is but I think it is more than a hundred years old based on the appearance of the bottle I worked in a pottery for 35 years and it had been in busines for more than 150 years Nassau Seltsers was a mineral water the was bottled in Nassau Germany in the Duchy of Hesse I would not pay $200.00 for the one I found but I would not sell mine for $200.00 either

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I dug one of those once I was shocked because it was and is in rather good condition Mine has Nassau Selters stamped on the front, inside of the lettering is a type of bird .On the back under the handle it is stamped NUM 157 Not sure how old it is but I think it is more than a hundred years old based on the appearance of the bottle I worked in a pottery for 35 years and it had been in busines for more than 150 years Nassau Seltsers was a mineral water the was bottled in Nassau Germany in the Duchy of Hesse I would not pay $200.00 for the one I found but I would not sell mine for $200.00 either

That would be awesome to dig one up!

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES I was on the edge of panic once I realized it was some type of pottery jug .I was certain it would be broken somewhere . As I slowly worked the dirt was packed real solid all around .Even after I had it uncovered for end to end it did not want to give up it's dirt bed .I finally was able to get it free and lift it out and I was shaking.As I said it would not be worth $200.00 to me to buy it and finding it makes it worth too much to sell it for any amount short of crazy money

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
YES I was on the edge of panic once I realized it was some type of pottery jug .I was certain it would be broken somewhere . As I slowly worked the dirt was packed real solid all around .Even after I had it uncovered for end to end it did not want to give up it's dirt bed .I finally was able to get it free and lift it out and I was shaking.As I said it would not be worth $200.00 to me to buy it and finding it makes it worth too much to sell it for any amount short of crazy money
I know that feeling in a smaller scale. I find lots of broken glass, even some bottles that are just crushed in place. But then you find that one that some how survived. I think the one I have found with the most value so far is about $40.00, but I am not selling!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread