central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This bottle was found many years ago by a friend on the New Hampshire shoreline. He believes it is from spain in origin, but he has never tried to research it, so I thought I would post it here to see what develops.

IMG_20200207_120548424_HDR.jpg IMG_20200207_120529998_HDR.jpg IMG_20200207_120555122_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200207_120607795_HDR.jpg IMG_20200207_120627262_HDR.jpg

The bottle is NOT made from glass, and is a deep brown color, and has a CROWN emblem as shown, and is approximately 10" tall.

Looking for answers on it's origin and age?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black glass ale...english I believe. Probably later 1800s ??

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Bart. What would make you think that it's not made of glass?

OP
OP
CCDAMEEK

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Bart. What would make you think that it's not made of glass?

Well, not knowing much about bottles in general, but I have never seen a glass bottle with such uneven texture, and this has spots on it that look like small hole/indents that are different colored, and glass is color-through is it not?

Also, I held this up to direct sunlight, even looking through the neck to the bottom, and I could not see light through the material.
But I don't know, just my opinion.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
CCDAMEEK

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assure you that it's glass. The fact that you can see through the top skin of those little surface bubbles is the most obvious giveaway. The glass was tinted by the addition of iron slag to the batch of glass and depending on how much was added results in varying degrees of olive green and olive amber. That, coupled with how thick the glass was blown can result some mighty dark glass, seemingly opaque, until you find a thin enough spot that will pass some light. As far as the surface texture goes, that's usually the result of disparities in temperature between the glass and the mould, erosion of the mold from the repeated impact of the hot glass on the iron mold walls, or both. It's a nice looking bottle that sure would've made my day if I had found it. Hope this helps and thanks for sharing it with us.

OP
OP
CCDAMEEK

CCDAMEEK

Aug 5, 2019
central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assure you that it's glass. The fact that you can see through the top skin of those little surface bubbles is the most obvious giveaway. The glass was tinted by the addition of iron slag to the batch of glass and depending on how much was added results in varying degrees of olive green and olive amber. That, coupled with how thick the glass was blown can result some mighty dark glass, seemingly opaque, until you find a thin enough spot that will pass some light. As far as the surface texture goes, that's usually the result of disparities in temperature between the glass and the mould, erosion of the mold from the repeated impact of the hot glass on the iron mold walls, or both. It's a nice looking bottle that sure would've made my day if I had found it. Hope this helps and thanks for sharing it with us.

Wow, AWESOME description, and time in explaining your knowledge! I have learned something today, so Thank You. :occasion14:

Now if I can only remember this tomorrow to tell the man that owns the bottle! :dontknow: :icon_salut:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen a bunch of these, no concrete attribution has ever been nailed down as to where in Europe they originated...

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottle!
One good test to see if it's glass,
drop from a high location.