A Paterson N.J. bottle dilemma, but a good one...

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
So back in 2019 while looking thru Ebay I saw what I figured was a common Tiffany & Allen hutch, they are great bottles with little stars embossed on the shoulders and a ton of embossing front and back, but then I noticed a line in the lip that looked odd. So after asking for better pics and asking the seller if there was an indentation on the inside of the lip I realized it was an applied top Baltimore loop seal and not an actual hutch. I let my mentor The Guru know and told him he was welcome to add it to his collection because of all he had done for me thru the years. As it turned out I ended up with it when I got first pick of his collection when he decided to sell it off.

Turn the clock ahead to 10 days ago and another pops up on Ebay, I took a quick look to see if it was indeed another loop seal bottle and it was, and since I already had one I let a friend who also collects Paterson bottles know about it. The seller wanted $40 or best offer plus shipping, and we both thought that was excessive. So I told my buddy I would make a lowball offer and see what happens, and sure enough the seller took my offer and sent the bottle to me. Today while looking at them on my desk I realized the new one is more of a greenish aqua, and the bluish aqua I had has 'PAT' above the T&A base embossing and '85' below it, and the new one only has T&A embossed on the base. Even though I considered them different variants due to that fact I still planned on giving it to my buddy at the next bottle club meeting.

While taking pics of them side by side, as well as of the bases, I noticed something I hadn't before, on the variant I already have on each side of the monogram on the bottle it says 'THIS / BOTTLE / NOT TO / BE SOLD', and on the one I got my buddy it doesn't have that embossing. I am still going to stick to my word and offer it to him at the meeting explaining that I didn't realize they were different variants, and I will be happy if he decides to keep it for himself or if he lets me keep it. I can't just tell him sorry but I realized they are different so I'm keeping it, that'll bring nothing but bad karma, something I really believe in....

#Blum111111a.jpg
#Blum1111111111111.jpg

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on the right track .Your friend ship is worth more than the cost of the bottle .Doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do is the best way to proceed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread