diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some bottles today while I was out detecting. The ground was soft and these came easily out of the bank by the creek with my small shovel. I hope to go back. Torpedo bottles we're shaped that way so you couldn't store them upright and the cork would stay wet. They held carbonated water. I was about to leave when I found the torpedo. It's funny how you tell yourself a few more shovels and then you spend a lot longer than you thought you would.. A little clay marble too Happy Hunting! IMG_20200331_172125165_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20200331_172136119_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20200331_172144657~2.jpg

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love that torpedo! i had a later wine bottle but not even close to that! what are the three bottom right cup looking things, and composition.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi nagant, it's so fun finding bottles, I can't wait to go back.The cups are old assay crucibles. I have found so many around here it's insane. Some have writing on the outside. They are made of fire clay and hold up to high heat. They have residue inside from melting the inpurities away from the gold. Some say you can crush them and reclaim gold that has soaked into them. I have found many shaped and sizes. Hope you find some good pits to keep you busy!

Crusty Shellback

Jul 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that torpedo, I have never dug one but sure would love to!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
It's where the term "soda pop" came from. Importers that shipped soda over seas would have the cork dry out due to the salty dry air so they came up with these type bottles and round bottom bottles.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I NEEEEED to find one!! They're so cool looking! Congrats. just got to dig one more...

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that torpedo, I have never dug one but sure would love to!

I hope you find a good one! I went back today with reinforcements (my boys). We found a couple JGB bitters. IMG_20200401_132416890_HDR~2.jpg
I NEEEEED to find one!! They're so cool looking! Congrats. just got to dig one more...
They are out there. This my 4th one but all have been plain. I would trade you something for it but you probably want to dig one!!
It's where the term "soda pop" came from. Importers that shipped soda over seas would have the cork dry out due to the salty dry air so they came up with these type bottles and round bottom bottles.
Thanks for some more information!! Seems like they were a little more for the upper class.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check that creek there might be some in there rolling outa the bank, great to find other treasures while metal detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread