Huntsman China

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
At an 1800s foundation we’re exploring, I’ve found many broken pieces of china. So many, in fact, that I’m able to start piecing some together. Yesterday I found a piece that helped me solve one mystery: the bottom of a saucer that says Huntsman. I’ve known that I had pieces to two different items and now I know why! Any ideas on dates?

Attachments

• E4E7B8EA-DB5C-4D45-8BA9-80FF60A392B0.png
    E4E7B8EA-DB5C-4D45-8BA9-80FF60A392B0.png
    292.5 KB · Views: 65

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you elaborate on your question?

The cup and saucer you’ve pictured (which by definition could not be described as “flow blue”) looks to be Staffordshire china in “Huntsman” pattern by William Adams and would likely be circa 1830.

Is that the exact pattern you’re finding? And I do mean exact. Dozens of potteries produced transferware china depicting hunts and hunting scenes at various times. Can you show the word “Huntsman” as it appears on your fragments? The use of the word as a pattern name was not confined to William Adams and – for Adams’ pieces - I would expect it to be incorporated within an Adams pottery mark.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

The cup and saucer you’ve pictured (which by definition could not be described as “flow blue”) looks to be Staffordshire china in “Huntsman” pattern by William Adams and would likely be circa 1830.

0BD596E0-A1B9-47DB-9ED9-4BEA75EB5CE8.png 0BD596E0-A1B9-47DB-9ED9-4BEA75EB5CE8.png

Is that the exact pattern you’re finding? And I do mean exact. Dozens of potteries produced transferware china depicting hunts and hunting scenes at various times. Can you show the word “Huntsman” as it appears on your fragments? The use of the word as a pattern name was not confined to William Adams and – for Adams’ pieces - I would expect it to be incorporated within an Adams pottery mark.

Here it is: 0BD596E0-A1B9-47DB-9ED9-4BEA75EB5CE8.png

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I will also post the reconstruction as it currently sits: CDBF2200-3611-4ED8-9C9E-56131D1E0623.png

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

I’ll try to post better pictures tomorrow!

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
E2D88EC4-E8E8-4B67-92D6-7D0B485023A0.png Here’s the latest picture. The one shown in the original post was found on the internet. I didn’t create the description used.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the additional pictures. Yes, that does appear to be an Adams mark and the correct pattern, so it's from William Adams of Stoke-upon-Trent, Staffordshire, England and circa 1830. Adams widely exported his wares to the US.

Last edited:
OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Thanks for the additional pictures. Yes, that does appear to be an Adams mark and the correct pattern, so it's from William Adams of Stoke-upon-Trent, Staffordshire, England and circa 1830. Adams widely exported his wares to the US.

Wow! Thanks for the information! So Huntsman isn't the manufacturer, but a design?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thanks for the information! So Huntsman isn't the manufacturer, but a design?

You're welcome. Yep, that's the pattern name. Adams used all kinds of fancy borders for their marks. In many cases the pattern name is part of the mark (usually at the centre) and in most cases their name (as ‘W Adams & Sons’, ‘W Adams’, 'Adams & Co’, ‘Adams’, ‘WA&S’ and other variations) is at the top or bottom, as per the first example below. When it’s not part of the printed mark, it’s separately embossed into the china, as per the second example, but it may run across the printed mark or be somewhere else on the piece and occasionally via a separate label.

Adams1.jpg Adams2.jpg

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You're welcome. Yep, that's the pattern name. Adams used all kinds of fancy borders for their marks. In many cases the pattern name is part of the mark (usually at the centre) and in most cases their name (as ‘W Adams & Sons’, ‘W Adams’, 'Adams & Co’, ‘Adams’, ‘WA&S’ and other variations) is at the top or bottom, as per the first example below. When it’s not part of the printed mark, it’s separately embossed into the china, as per the second example, but it may run across the printed mark or be somewhere else on the piece and occasionally via a separate label.

I did find a small stamp in the border around Huntsman. I’ll try to get a picture.

View attachment 1922235 View attachment 1922236

I did notice a design impression in the stamp. I’ll try to get a picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread