Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I stumbled across another bottle dump while detecting last week. There are many older Coke bottles and more milk bottles as well. The one on the right is the oldest; Suburban Dairies merged with another company in the 1930's. The others are from Abbotts Dairies, Philadelphia.

Attachments

• 2008_0405Image0002.JPG
    2008_0405Image0002.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,480
  • 2008_0405Image0002.JPG
    2008_0405Image0002.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,094

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
these are in such good shape....could be very valuable as the small pint bottles from our local univ (VA TECH_Blacksburg,Va) have sold @ auction for $500+.Keep us posted--great photo shots...what camera do you use ?

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Fla-Gal said:
these are in such good shape....could be very valuable as the small pint bottles from our local univ (VA TECH_Blacksburg,Va) have sold @ auction for $500+.Keep us posted--great photo shots...what camera do you use ?

I am going back for more tomorrow. These seem to be common, although the one on the right it very early 20th century.

I just picked up an Olympus FE210. It is a 7.1 Megapixel and it was on sale for $69!! I had 2 Fuji cams before and both times the zoom went bad. I don't think it is a good idea bringing cameras metal detecting! The new one is all scratched up already from sand that gets in everything! Luckily I took out the protection plan for this one.

TIP: Use the "Auto Correct" in your photo editing tool. You will usually get better contrast. You can always undo the change if you do not like the result!

bronc88

Jul 1, 2008
Speaking of milk bottles . anyone have or seen older milk bottles from Wells Dairy in northest of US. anyone have info i would appreciate it . thanks

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
As a kid, we used to drink Abbotts milk. In the summer we would sneak up on the truck from behind and steal blocks of ice. Other dairies in this area(just west of Philly) included "Wills, Supplee, Jones.......Rosenbergers....Scott-Powell......Bergdolls.........Crystle...........and Darlington.

HH,

root

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
root said:
As a kid, we used to drink Abbotts milk. In the summer we would sneak up on the truck from behind and steal blocks of ice. Other dairies in this area(just west of Philly) included "Wills, Supplee, Jones.......Rosenbergers....Scott-Powell......Bergdolls.........Crystle...........and Darlington.

HH,

root

Root,

There are more at the site, but it has become overgrown with Poison Ivy. I found a Coke Bottle with the Patent date of December 25 1923 on it as well! I will grab ab Abbots bottle for you in the fall!

root

Feb 25, 2005
Southeastern Pa.
Neil in West Jersey said:
root said:

HH,

root

Thanks Neil!! If you like Frost you might enjoy the lyrics of David Wilcox (American Singer/Songwriter)

Peace and HH,

root

Root,

There are more at the site, but it has become overgrown with Poison Ivy. I found a Coke Bottle with the Patent date of December 25 1923 on it as well! I will grab ab Abbots bottle for you in the fall!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, I love finding the old milk bottles, it has been awhile since I have stumpled upon any. I believe Abbotts would be one of the most common ones found in our general vicinity. I really enjoy the pint size bottles, since they take up less room to display (the one downfall with bottle collecting, it takes up so much display space. LOL).

I think my neatest milk bottles are quart size and pint sized WAWA bottles I found a few of them many years ago at one of the Army's dump from the WWI bomb plant called Amatol. I figure they are amongst some of the earliest WAWA bottles, I believe WAWA farms started in the dairy business right around the turn of the 20th century..

My favorite quart bottle is one that says "A Bottle of Milk is a Bottle of Health" :) (Dairy unknown)

Don

Attachments

• WAWABOTTOM.JPG
    WAWABOTTOM.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 899
  • WAWAMILKBOTTLE.JPG
    WAWAMILKBOTTLE.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,231
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
Neil, I love finding the old milk bottles, it has been awhile since I have stumpled upon any. I believe Abbotts would be one of the most common ones found in our general vicinity. I really enjoy the pint size bottles, since they take up less room to display (the one downfall with bottle collecting, it takes up so much display space. LOL).

I think my neatest milk bottles are quart size and pint sized WAWA bottles I found a few of them many years ago at one of the Army's dump from the WWI bomb plant called Amatol. I figure they are amongst some of the earliest WAWA bottles, I believe WAWA farms started in the dairy business right around the turn of the 20th century..

My favorite quart bottle is one that says "A Bottle of Milk is a Bottle of Health" :) (Dairy unknown)

Don

Don,

I have yet to come across any old Wawa bottles, but that would be a thrill. I love finding anything old that has local interest. Among my favorites are my Holly Ravine Dairy bottles, which have their location embossed as "Haddonfield NJ". Once home to the famous Cow Tail Bar, Holly Ravine Dairy is now Holly Ravine Shopping Center, a strip mall in bustling Cherry Hill Township, at least 4 miles from the Haddonfield border. In the days before zip codes, locations were given as landmarks, Haddonfield being the nearest populated place. Earlier, Holly Ravine Dairies used Glendale, NJ as their location, although I have yet to find any of these earlier bottles. The only remnant of Glendale that still remains is the Glendale Church, built in 1859, located across from Eagle Plaza in Voorhees Township.

It is amazing how a simple thing like an old milk bottle can teach us so much about our local history!

tompahpe

Nov 18, 2006
Very interested in the following central New Jersey milk bottles:

Willow Brook Farm

Willow Brook Dairy

A. Puskas Farm

A. Puskas Dairy

Puskas Dairy Farm

Middlebush Dairy Farm

Middlebush Farm

Somerset Dairy

Any info, tips, leads, pictures, etc., would be hugely appreciated!!!

Thanks,
JK

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
tompahpe said:
Very interested in the following central New Jersey milk bottles:

Willow Brook Farm

Willow Brook Dairy

A. Puskas Farm

A. Puskas Dairy

Puskas Dairy Farm

Middlebush Dairy Farm

Middlebush Farm

Somerset Dairy

Any info, tips, leads, pictures, etc., would be hugely appreciated!!!

Thanks,
JK

JK,

I would recommend eBay. I always see bottles like the ones I find for sale. Usually they go for a few dollars each.

Good luck!
Neil

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
crazyjarhead said:
Nice find. Like to see some of the old coke bottles :D

As you wish! This one is patented "December 25th, 1923". It is the first of the classic Coke bottle designs. It is very thick glass which is where the term "Coke bottle lenses" came from.

It is my hope to find one of the earlier ones, which were shaped like ordinary bottles.

Neil

Attachments

• P5010001.JPG
    P5010001.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 595
  • P5010001.JPG
    P5010001.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 540
  • P5010003_01.JPG
    P5010003_01.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 716

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres the early coke bottle I found last year.I'm not positive but I believe this was the first Coca Cola bottle made.Mine is from Louisville.Needs a good cleaning.

Attachments

• Bottles 010.jpg
    Bottles 010.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 863
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hill Billy said:
Heres the early coke bottle I found last year.I'm not positive but I believe this was the first Coca Cola bottle made.Mine is from Louisville.Needs a good cleaning.

Billy,

That is an awesome find! I hope to find one of those someday! I believe you have what is known as the circular arrow script bottle - about 1912-1914. The original bottles were the Hutchinson bottles, which pre-date 1900. An example follows:

Attachments

• HutchCoke2.jpg
    HutchCoke2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 516

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info Neil.I wasn't sure but I like the one you posted even more.I gotta find one of those now.Thanks for the teachins. HBilly

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Neil- there is a nice market out there for milks......and I collect the older Cokes....so if you find any of those older cokes let me know and I'll pay a fair price....johny mc. from Lehigh Valley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread