Bounty Hunter

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre/GPP/Lesche/Bomb Sheath
Could someone please explain to me why anyone who uses Bounty Hunter metal detectors always seems to get bashed for using this brand? I have seen them called toys,mufflers on a stick and so on. Why is it so frowned upon?Did you ever take into consideration that maybe it's all someone could afford?Yes your probably saying buy something used that's from a bigger name brand but why would you do that and give up a warranty on a machine? I think this whole attitude with what anyone uses is starting to be like who has the latest and greatest machine,well that's fine if you can afford to drop thousands of dollars on something like that but,for pete's sakes don't knock what others choose to use,isn't it suppose to be fun to do what we do? I have owned other high end machines and some low end machines including what i have now a Land Star and it does for me what i need it to and then some,so maybe next time someone mentions a machine you don't consider to be of the utmost performer don't bash them,instead give them some pointers so they can get the best out of their machine.

awhatley

May 31, 2012
marion, louisiana
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter, son uses a JR Bounty Hunter, 2 modified centech pointers, fisher f2, fisher pinpointer, harbor freight detector, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well rick i think its because they r available at any wal mart or radio shack so anyone can purchase one without having to visit a dealer and spend time on the phone with a rep. I own a BH lone star and my son owns a BH junior that i got thru a points program at work and the only way to spend those points is thru a rewards website so basically they cost me nothing. but i dont care if people talk down on my machine it works jus fine for me and my son and guess what it was FREE. now with that said im am sure i will purchase another brand in the near future just because i enjoy this hobby and spending time with my son

awhatley

May 31, 2012
marion, louisiana
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter, son uses a JR Bounty Hunter, 2 modified centech pointers, fisher f2, fisher pinpointer, harbor freight detector, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and you probably want get many replies from this thread because of that.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friend has a BH for ten years now from radio shack, he replaced the head with a 3.5" dia head and does better than me and other $1500. Det.I think he payed 200. Like you said thats all he can afford.

L

lost hunter

Can't say anything bad about the bounty hunter detectors They detect metal just like the rest of them do

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
Well here's something to think about,didn't Fisher buy out 1st texas the makers of Bounty Hunter and Teknetics?Seems to me if Fisher bought them out the same quality work would go into their other products.But i guess for some a name makes all the difference.I understand the big box store debate and yes it does make sense to talk with someone with alittle more knowledge on a particular machine but like i said i think it's more of a name game more than anything.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying used wouldn't bother me if going with a white's they build them like a tank and don't charge much for a repair, if you buy a used unit local you could always check it out first to make sure it works. There are parks around my area thats been pounded since the 70's so any silver left is really deep usually around the 10" mark mostly dimes so if I would have started with a bounty hunter I don't think I'd be still detecting today. I think you will definitly have more finds and fun with a good detector and can find some really good deals, I picked up a MXT at a pawn shop for $252.50 there's no question I'd take that over any bounty hunter. There's nothing wrong with going with what you can afford but if your going to really get into this hobby and want to have alot of fun doing it I'd get the best I could for the money even if buying used. The MXT is not the most expensive detector out there but I've detected with people that use the V3i and a few times detected with E-trac and with the right coil the MXT will find coins as deep as them and I never feel outgunned. HH

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started off back in 2010 with the 505. I had the stock 8" coil but then bought the 10.25" coil, which became the only coil I hunted with. While they do get bashed I was able to make some nice finds especially colonial coppers & a 1781 1/2 Reale. The 505 is a coin magnate. I was also out hunting with 2 others with Whites MD's & I did pretty good keeping up with them.

niffler72

Mar 26, 2010
Jersey
Detector(s) used
BH LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my BH Landstar and I cut my teeth on a BH TrackerIV. They were the machines I could afford at the time. I love my BHs they may not have all the bells and whistles but they've been great machines for me. I took the the time to learn all the little quirks and subilties of my detectors and I'm very happy.

OP
OP
R

richbat

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
niffler72 That Land Star is a real good machine,my boy had it out at the school a couple days ago with me and wouldn't you know it his very first hit was a .925 silver ring and a beauty at that,he then went on and found a few quarters with it then i took over and hit a major pocket spill,was at that dang area for darn near 30 minutes pulling out pennies and a few dimes.I love this machine and the auto-notch works very well.

DaleR

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2012
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got into Detecting and I bought a used Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300. It's all that I can afford right now and it does OK finding things. We have found 10 coins at least an old toy trailer and a wallet that someone lost. I thinks that's a smarter move than dropping $800 and find out you don't like it. Half the fun is getting out. It doesn't matter what people think or say as long a you are enjoying the hunt.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have snobs in every hobby. Sadly our hobby has more than most. I have never used a BH, but am not opposed to using one. Back when I started detecting, I ordered a Garrett GTA 1000. Found more stuff with that older machine than I have found with any of the newer ones I have used.

It seems like to some people the detector is and extension of their ego. High dollar machine=prestige and coolness. Not all people are like this but this site harbors more than I have ever seen in one spot.

Spend what you can afford, get out, have fun and screw the ego trippers. They are a waste of a human being.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My first detector was bounty hunter platinum. I bought it even though everyone was telling me to get a ace 250 or an f2. Well I liked the bounty hunter and I got it. Did I like it?? Well yes I loved it. I would still have it if it wasn't for the little devil in my head that told me that maybe with a better detector I could find more things well.... I have upgraded to one of the top of line detectors and I still think that buying my bounty hunter was the right move.
If people don't like a particular brand or model it is most likely because they haven't tested it or maybe they werent lucky with the one they had. I have read many good reviews on bounty hunters, and I personally gave it a great review. Metal detecting isn't about what machine you have (even if they can help you find more good targets) its about how much you enjoy doing it.
I like it and if others have different opinions I couldn't care less my opinion is all that counts for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

chenty

Nov 4, 2012
missouri
Detector(s) used
BT IV, ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all I can afford right now..I get to hang out with my son..an who knows whats lurking few inches away:occasion14:

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
norbyx said:
My first detector was bounty hunter platinum. I bought it even though everyone was telling me to get a ace 250 or an f2. Well I liked the bounty hunter and I got it. Did I like it?? Well yes I loved it. I would still have it if it wasn't for the little devil in my head that told me that maybe with a better detector I could find more things well.... I have upgraded to one of the top of line detectors and I still think that buying my bounty hunter was the right move.
If people don't like a particular brand or model it is most likely because they haven't tested it or maybe they werent lucky with the one they had. I have read many good reviews on bounty hunters, and I personally gave it a great review. Metal detecting isn't about what machine you have (even if they can help you find more good targets) its about how much you enjoy doing it.
I like it and if others have different opinions I couldn't care less my opinion is all that counts for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I agree the reason I go detecting is because I enjoy it If by chance I hit silver great if I only get pull tabs then that's okay I really enjoy the hobby and that's all that matters to me

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got a BH Discovery 1100..... first day found coinage 3 to4" deep... the max range in 6" but it can pick up past that range. I found a metal 4 to 5" ring with a "S" shape hook on it 7" deep..... in one day I have found out how to work threw my newby reading of what the detector is telling me and started picking up.. Yes it is not as fancy as higher models but it works and is finding good stuff.......

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am using a lower end Bounty Hunter until tax refund time rolls around...then I'm upgrading to an F2. I have to say, if there is metal under the surface...it will let me know!

smeagher

Feb 28, 2013
I have BH 3300. I am find coins and jewellery. Seems to work pretty good. I am knew to this hobby and it gets me off the sofa. Someday I may upgrade. I look at it like my golf clubs. $200 set still hits the ball. Spending a $1000 for a new set is not going to improve my game much. I enjoy MD. I may find more with a more expensive unit or maybe I just need to go to better places.

izzaquack

Greenie
Jul 25, 2013
Kansas City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a BH Discovery 1100. I have found a lot of coins with it. I joined a metal detecting club back in March. They have a group hunt every month. The first group hunt I went to I was a little embarrassed to use my BH. Everyone else had the top notch machines. After the two hour hunt everyone was comparing what they found. I was asked how I did, I did better than most of the people in that group. So it is not the brand of the machine, it is getting to know the machine you have. I bought a 4 inch coil, and still finding stuff at the parks I hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread