jacobcareme

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2012
keystone heights florida
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i feel like my bounty hunter is holding me back from finding things does anyone on here have one are they any good i dont know anybody that has one nore do i no anyone who has a better one or the same one that has found anything with it im also looking for someone who might would like to meet up with me and do some dirt fishin so if you live in florida near keystone heights let me know id like to have a fishin partner lol

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello i have a bh elite 2200 im been using it since feb it works pretty good located little silver and alot if clad coins even located very small targets about 5 to 6in deep

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The 2200 is fairly similar in performance and operating characteristics (if not necessarily features) to the other BH products that have visual target ID with the exception of the lower priced units which are different platforms, and the Platinum and Gold models which are completely different.

What this means is that a lot of what you read about the 505, Sharpshooter, 3300, etc. will apply also to the 2200. Not necessarily the features, but the performance and operating characteristics which pretty much determine how to use the machine and what to expect from it.

--Dave J.

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one and found a few quirks with operating it granted i also just bought the machine and have only logged about 10 hours on it but this is what i've found so far..

1. Do not wrap the coil cord to tight around the shaft it doesnt have to be super loose but being to tightly coiled gave me a TON of ghost signals chattering at me almost constantly.
2. Sweep the coil smooth and steady no sudden jerking at the end of the sweep or it will hit at the end of your sweep almost everytime.
3. take your time pinpointing hit the target at all the angles you can maybe it was just me but it seemed like i was digging just off of my target constantly when i first got the machine.

as a disclaimer i will say that i am very green to the hobby and only have the tracker 4 to compare the 2200 to but i can say that i have gone over ground that i have hit hard with the tracker and came up with more coins and other targets with my 2200 and i absolutely love the discrimination on the 2200 over the tracker its saved me a lot of digging time on the quick hunts that i do just before work when i dont want to dig every pull tab in the park

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i feel like my bounty hunter is holding me back from finding things does anyone on here have one are they any good i dont know anybody that has one nore do i no anyone who has a better one or the same one that has found anything with it im also looking for someone who might would like to meet up with me and do some dirt fishin so if you live in florida near keystone heights let me know id like to have a fishin partner lol

Earlier on another post i was sharing my experience with bounty hunter detectors, and i will share here. Many years ago i owned a bounty hunter red baron, "one of my first detectors" , and i have owned a few bounty hunters since then. Here is my experience with bounty hunter detectors, "and by the way i own and haved owned a lot of big name detectors". Anyone who badmouths bounty hunter detectors do not know what they are talking about period. the detector that i use today mostly is my f70, "it suits my relic hunting pretty good" the modern day bounty hunters does not seem to go as deep as my f70 or my vaquero, but there is not any detector that is more honest than the bounty hunter. Meaning the bounty hunter disc. is the best i have ever used.

cra61

Jul 9, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2+
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett "carrot" Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a Quick Draw II for 12-14 years and continue to use it. Picked up a Disney tag the other day smaller than a regular zipper tab some 3-4 inches deep. I am upgrading my detector sometime over the next few weeks and will probably go with a BH 505 pro from Kellyco

kookiman

Jun 27, 2012
east central florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite, BH Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a BH 2200 Elite off of Craigslist and although I'm a newbie, I'm very happy with it. Haven't found the "motherload" YET but having lots of fun learning ! So far lots of junk, a little pocket change and the proverbial needle in a haystack...actually it was a a sewing needle that some idiot brought to the beach and lost in the sand !! Sure glad I found it instead of someone getting stuck with it ! Good luck and happy hunting.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 3300 and believe that it(and its cousin the 2200) is a VERY capable machine!

1.Read
2.Use
3.Dig
4.Understand (may require more reading...see #1)

I found my first silver the other day...1882 Canada dime @ 7". I have found a number of small objects at a similar depth and have dug 300+ clad in my first 30 days/30 hours.

eagle927

Nov 10, 2012
Evansville,IN
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this may be silly but I am going to ask it anyway. I have the Discovery 2200 and I have it set for all medal I am in the backyard trying and getting to know my MD before I go other places to hunt I get alot of hit that say iron 8" deep but when I dig I can dig 8" to 10" and not find nothing. the other day I was getting a good hit on the 50 cent mark at 6" deep got to 6" and nothing so I dig other 2" and still nothing . has anyone had this kind of problems or am I doing something wrong. I have found a 2004 nickel and an old nail so far, I love the MD but I have read the book. :icon_scratch:

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I started with bounty hunter pioneer ex was very happy with it. I now have bounty hunter platinum and must say it. seems to do very well only had it. short time so still learning it. have found lots of clad some silver few wheaties and all kinds of junk thanks for reading happy fishin

mrmrsbenoit

Jan 9, 2013
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just started and got a BH Discovery 1100 using the descrim mod taken out iron and found coinage pretty quick 3 to 4" down. using the iron on rusted metal set off the med range alot. but as far as locating the item it a hit and miss i had to dig re scan the location when nothing found. I use the circle methed to figure out wear to start. Usualy i get close enough to the right location I just half to dig the area just on the edge of my start hole. I am going to get a pinpoiter to help with that. ...... but for a begbiner the BH Disc. 1100 must be simular to the 2200.

Brendan

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that getting the ground balance right for the soil helped on my 3300. It almost eliminated the false positives at the end of the swings if you just touched the ground etc. I'm not sure it the 1100 or 2200 has this feature, but learning to set ground balance really helps.

millerpony

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2013
Little Rock
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Elite, same as the Discovery, and both the 1100 and the 2200 are both fixed balance. I called BH and they told me that the Elite and the Disco are pretty much the same except for the wire connections.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
ok heres what i have learned in the shot time ive used this detector. it sounds off when the target touches the inner ring so if ur swingin from right to left as the target hits the right side of the inner ring it beeps. if u swing faster u can get a better signal eg 10c at 4" swing faster 10c at 3". depth is relitive to signal strength so a big hunk of iron at say 12" may ring up showing 3" what i do is raise my coil above the ground and swing and see how the depth changes.so if i get say 25c at 3'' illl raise my coil off the ground say 4" and if the reading goes to 7" then i know i have a coin sized target if it goes to 4" then i know its large and deep. and iron can some times ring up in the silver range. hope this helps

HogGrin

Mar 20, 2013
Suffolk Co. Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have the BH Disco 2200. I too being a noob needed time to get the feel of it all. However I have to agree you may find that in pinpointing you target it seems to be a little off from where you may think it is. A true pinpointer unit maybe very helpful. I also found that I will get a beep on my sweep on the right side. Could be from the coil cable hitting against the coil pole. If I sweep slower it stops. The depth I have to still get a better feel for. I will be trying Postal Two's method and post my findings.

:dontknow: A second note: After having this unit for 3 months and almost 10 hunts, I had to return it to FTP for repairs. It started acting weird, with unexplained beeps/detectings, tried shutting down the unit, but it would not turn off, although readout display was faded. Eventually, it shut off when I pulled the batteries. When replacing them with fresh ones unit no longer turned on. Any input on this would be grateful. :dontknow:

Despite the malfunction, I was really liking the unit as my first MDor.

Last edited:

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same detector, and haveexperienced the same as you. The thing that has saved all my ghost signals is the Garrett Pro Pointer!! I paid more for the pointer than i did my Discovery 2200, lol...but well worth it. Youll almost never get a false hit again. I just found a tiny peice of lead the size of a pebble 6" deep today. Would have never realized what it was without te pointer. Also, when it says 8" deep on mine, its really only like 4". So dig your plug, go over the plug piece...no sound, go back over hole. Dig a handfull out at a time and wave it under coil while the detector is lying on its side. Do this over and over until you pay for the pointer. Good luck!

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
I have the same detector, and haveexperienced the same as you. The thing that has saved all my ghost signals is the Garrett Pro Pointer!! I paid more for the pointer than i did my Discovery 2200, lol...but well worth it. Youll almost never get a false hit again. I just found a tiny peice of lead the size of a pebble 6" deep today. Would have never realized what it was without te pointer. Also, when it says 8" deep on mine, its really only like 4". So dig your plug, go over the plug piece...no sound, go back over hole. Dig a handfull out at a time and wave it under coil while the detector is lying on its side. Do this over and over until you pay for the pointer. Good luck!
depth readings are based on a coin size target so if its a lead bb its gonna read deeper that actual contrary wise if its somethin large and its gonna read more shallow than actual. i find mine to be dam near dead on for depth on a coin. also slow down ur sweeps it will help with fasling and u will get better hits

Last edited:

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Postal Two, thanks, I guess since i dig almost everything i never really patterned the coinage depth readings,,,it just always seems that if it says 4" its only 2", and if it says 2" i start by just looking right under the grass. Maybe i hold the coil a lil too high????. And i never knew it had to do with size either. thankd for the tips.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
Postal Two, thanks, I guess since i dig almost everything i never really patterned the coinage depth readings,,,it just always seems that if it says 4" its only 2", and if it says 2" i start by just looking right under the grass. Maybe i hold the coil a lil too high????. And i never knew it had to do with size either. thankd for the tips.
np anytime sharing the info is what these forums are all about feel free to pm me if u gots any more questions the bh disco is a great machine if ya get to know it GL HH
P.S tip....if ur coin shooting for clad in a new area that not gonna have any old deep ones reduce sen to nothing or just one bar and it will be a clad killer.it also pin points better with less sen. a good method in old areas is starting with lo sen and working a small area get out the surface targets and then increasing sen as u go striping target off layer by layer. as u remove the junk the better targets may show themselves if there deep

Last edited:

Armorer73

Mar 1, 2013
California City, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab X-Terra
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok this may be silly but I am going to ask it anyway. I have the Discovery 2200 and I have it set for all medal I am in the backyard trying and getting to know my MD before I go other places to hunt I get alot of hit that say iron 8" deep but when I dig I can dig 8" to 10" and not find nothing. the other day I was getting a good hit on the 50 cent mark at 6" deep got to 6" and nothing so I dig other 2" and still nothing . has anyone had this kind of problems or am I doing something wrong. I have found a 2004 nickel and an old nail so far, I love the MD but I have read the book. :icon_scratch:

I have found that when this happens to me it is usually a large object: soda can, Belt buckle..etc.. I keep chasing it into the abyss untill it finally rears it's ugly head. You never know untill you dig it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions