Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 Review

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Perhaps this helps someone out someday. I've had my BH 1100 for a few weeks and have logged several hours with it. I paid $50 plus $16 in S&H on EBay. Assembles easy and the learning curve on its operation is a matter of reading the manual and doing a little testing with some metal items. My goal was to find some coins. Using the discrimination setting so that it only detects Silver/Copper helped out alot. So far I've been able to find quite a few clad coins and one Silver 1940 Quarter. I've been told that using this discrimination level might affect depth, however in air tests, things seem the same. I have learned that once this detector picks up on a coin, it is very handy to switch to all metal in order to "X" the target easier. In Silver/Copper Discrimination, this unit is very dead on with coins. It rarely lies, and the unit gives you enough clues if the object is a can or other large metal/garbage. You will either get beeps over a wider than usual area or the depth readings will indicate it is near the surface. X'ing an object with this detector so far for me has been easy and I've recovered 99% of what I was after without any probe or pinpointer. I can't comment on the other discrimination modes or how it does on other metals/items besides coins because coins is all I've been after. I will outline a list of positives and negatives about this detector. And in short, here is my summary...if you are strapped for cash and absolutely need a detector, this unit could be the one. The only real downside to this unit is that in a question of hours, or once you're on a roll finding things, you're going to start wanting something better. "If I'm having this success with a $50 detector, I wonder what could happen with a better one" is what has been ringing in my head since I started using this thing.

+ Low, low price.
+ Easy and simple to learn.
+ Success potential without investing in something that you may or may not like.
+ Works well in finding coins.

- Not so great depth. Air tests with quarters on all metal mode with sensitivity on high
cause signals at only 5" maximum. It does detect larger objects deeper though.
- Depth indicator is not very exact. Almost always shows 6" +.
- Because of its quick learning curve, and more than likely success for those who make a real effort to find things, will quickly have you wanting more detector.

TwT

Dec 4, 2006
Lincolnton, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. GT
Glad you posted this, just bought one for my little girl for Christmas, its what she asked for and her mom found it for $29 at a radio shake, also bought her older sister a 3300 for $99. maybe they want out hunt me... good post!!!

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Personally, I think this will make a great detector for a little one. This detector cannot be sold short. In the almost two months I had it, I found tons of clad.....this thing will take you home all the shallow (4") clad in the park, trust me. I upgraded to an ACE 250 a couple of weeks ago, but the 1100 found me a 1940 Quarter, and just days before I put it to rest, it went out with a bang and found me two mercury dimes. It paid for itself in a matter of weeks. Letl us know how it goes! :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
And you can tell them that the little girl you sold it to has continued to find coin after coin after coin with it! She found the only wheat penny to come out of my yard and we have pulled over 220 coins out of the yard since we started detecting two months ago!

She found her first nickel two nights ago, now she has found one of each type of common coin. She loves her machine. It is a great started machine.

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Hey Larry,
I'm still glad everything went well with the 1100.........and it sounds to me like she is doing very well with it! I can't believe she's actually going after nickels!

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
She dug three last night again. She also found 8 copper pennnies and no zinc ones! Wish I could do as well with my machine that cost more $$$$$

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Larry, I always felt that this machine did not fool. I'm not sure exactly how well it discriminates, but.......in it's discrimination mode where you are only looking for coins, it only finds coins......and rings......and medals.....not all the caps and tabs that my 250 still rings off on! ARGGGHHH...........I do have that brand spanking new BH 2200 laying on the table to try out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread