Bounty Hunter PinPointer

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one i just ordered for my dad seems like it was a good purchase (For now) It's got good sensitivity, but it seems it only has it on the tip of the pointer and the vibrator is very light. Over all a 3 out of 5. for the money. I'll probably buy him the Garrett next month. At least it upgraded him from the cen tech.

Last edited:

GTSkip

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2014
Kerrville, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pretty accurate evaluation of the BH pinpointer. It's not the best but with a little bit of practice you'll find it helps a lot!

JWag

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do u use the darn thing? From the instructions (I'll paraphrase): turn it on and turn until it squelches. When it squelches, turn the knob back until squelching stops. Is that right? If it is, then this thing is never going to work because it always squelches - unless it is turned off. it came with no battery so I had to put one in and it was a new battery. ideas? -james

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turn it on and turn the knob until it stops squelching then turn it back to right before it starts to squelch again then you are ready to use it in its max sensitivity

GTSkip

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2014
Kerrville, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that it takes a little bit of practice with the pointer in order to get the best results. Like it says above, turn it on and adjust the squelch. Test it with your shovel or other metal object and you will see that it will pick up a signal and squelch at 1/2 to maybe an inch from the target. And yes, it is just the tip that works and that's a good thing as it makes finding objects easier. The more practice the better you'll get with it. Two things to remember: once you have it adjusted keep your fingers away from the knob- more than once I've found that while probing I accidently turned the adjustment knob and that of course made the probe useless. Also, for whatever reason the battery cover on mine comes off very easily so I used a bit of electrical tape to hold it in place.

bottome line: the more you use it the more you'll come to like it.

Skiip

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's better than nothing, but light years behind the Garrett and Minelab PP's.... I modded mine a fair amount- and it's better (at least to my liking) but still no pro pointer or pro find?!?!

I'm dreaming of the day when the FT, BH, Teknetics, Fisher group - build and release a PP that's more up to par with the other PPs out there.

If I don't hear that they have one in the works soon, I'm probably buying a Minelab Pro Find.

neworder

May 5, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 and Titan 9000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Bounty Hunter Pinpointer came "free" with my metal detector and even though it is better than nothing it was frustrating to use. I would set the knob right on the threshold of it not squealching and then it would drift or the knob would get bumped while poking around in a hole and you would have to set it again. Plus many items you almost have to be touching it. They really need to make it with a more shallow turn knob and a OFF/ON switch so you don't have to adjust it every time you want to pinpoint something. Some much time is spent turning the thing on and adjusting the sensitivity every time you want to use it.

About a week ago I got the new White's TRX Pinpointer and it has made a world of difference. Recovery is so much faster which allows me to dig up more targets and allows me to dig a much smaller hole. About 90% of the targets I can pinpoint right above the ground with the TRX since it can usually see a coin that is around 2-3 inches deep. I hunt mostly with my Bounty Hunter Titan 9000 (same as the older Time Ranger) and the TRX Pinpointer.

Last edited:

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Try turning it on and adjusting the gain in the plug hole, not above the intended search area. The ones I have and used, seem to give a slight better response this way. (Then maybe its just me,,,,lol)

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two of these... one from BH and one from Fisher. I also have the Garrett PP and it is the pinpointer of choice. The BH responds to targets about an inch away. The Fisher responds to targets about 1.5 inches away. The Garrett is really far superior and the intensity of the signal and vibration increases when you are closer to the target. I also love the Garrett's holster.

greenwyvern

Apr 11, 2014
Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 & Delta 4000 & Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is a 2 out of 5. Almost useless. I leave it in the trunk most of the time. I have tried all the modifications...advancing the sensitivity on the board inside, dropping a dime inside, etc. It still only has a range of one half inch in open air and has to touch a coin to work in a plug. Can barely hear it. Can barely feel it vibrate. Save your money for a better one.

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only issue I've had is the battery cover coming off, as pointed out earlier, a bit of electrical tape works. It will pick up coins from 1-1.5" away, and the vibration and tone are loud enough for me to hear with my earbuds in. It is annoying to have to constantly adjust it every time you turn it on, but after using it for a while, it become second nature and can be done within a few seconds.

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate mine, just ordered the Vulcan 360 should be here Monday. I don't think I would even give mine away, couldn't do that to someone.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is a 2 out of 5. Almost useless. I leave it in the trunk most of the time. I have tried all the modifications...advancing the sensitivity on the board inside, dropping a dime inside, etc. It still only has a range of one half inch in open air and has to touch a coin to work in a plug. Can barely hear it. Can barely feel it vibrate. Save your money for a better one.

Your being nice with a 2. Mine came free with a Fisher F2 purchase. Maybe an air test gets 1/2 inch. In dirt, it has to touch the metal. Even the $25 Centeck is better (if the battery door doesn't break).

My next one is going to be that new Deteknix X pointer.

bsibiski

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2015
Salem Co. NJ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could it be that (sometimes) when the user wears a ring or a watch will give a false positive. Just a thought

BigMerv

Jul 29, 2013
Jackson, MS Metro Area
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3300 with 4", 8", and 10" coils. Time Ranger with 4", 8", 10", and F4 11" DD coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...hope I didn't make a mistake. Ordered one from Amazon on sale for $22.00. I hope it's better than the Wizard VibProbe I've been using for the past several years.

BigMerv

Jul 29, 2013
Jackson, MS Metro Area
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3300 with 4", 8", and 10" coils. Time Ranger with 4", 8", 10", and F4 11" DD coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new BH pinpointer came in today. I really like it. It's definitely better than what I'm used to. I'll try it out this weekend and let everyone know how well it does or doesn't work. BBJ

AZDET

Greenie
Aug 1, 2015
White Mountains, AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I broke down and bought one when the price was $22.00 on Wally World. Just got it today. Haven't used in the field yet but my air test matches the 3/4 inch on a coin the instructions state in will get. We'll see how it works in the field.

Last edited:

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked mine.
used it for over a year until i got a GPP

It worked well - just needs to be tuned everytimeyou turn it on.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one last season, hated it, went back to running hand fulls of dirt in front of the coil. I use the Pro Pointer now. I will sell my BH pinpointer for 20 buck and I'll ship it free anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you use the ProPointer (or even the XPointer), you wonder how you even used the BH. I had to always make sure the knob didn't get turned loosing sensitivity. Many times I can run my Xpointer on the ground before digging and it will slightly beep if the target is about 2" down. The BH loses it's depth in dirt to about 1/2 an inch because it's not Pulse Inductive. Like Loco-Digger, one time out and I chose to ditch it and spend the $$ on a PI. Mine came free with the F2 and I just threw it in the trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread