NEL Hunter coil on Bounty Hunter Elite 2200

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So for those of you who have wondered about the NEL coils on any Bounty Hunter Detectors? Here ya go!
Hunter Coil 12.5” x 8.5” This has been a fun coil on a Elite 2200, (Discovery 2200) adds close to 2” depending on what you are doing. The sensitivity can be cranked using this coil, but it works better if you click it down a bit. Target separation is improved but not by what you might think. The coil swings well, but remember your adding 4 ½ “ in length and a half inch in width, so there is a noticeable difference. Click the lower unit up one click and make sure you tighten the rod nut. Don’t over wrap the coil wire too tight up the rod, this will cause some feedback off the metal handle, it’s a sensitive coil! I was asked if it out performs the Fisher 11” coil?
A coil is what a coil is. By this I mean, any coil difference is a difference in the coil. The Fisher is 11” long and 7” wide, your gaining an 1 ½ “ in length and an 1 ½ in width with the NEL and the wire used on the NEL is larger wire with more shielding, so “Yes” there is a difference, but again not much.
Now some like to point out the worthlessness of buying a $115 dollar coil for a $115-200 dollar detector. To them I would say this, “Ya ya what ever, get over it!”
I use an old Tracker IV out on the Great Salt Lake, in areas where I’ve tried other more costly units that failed to work because of the high Salt and mineral content. So if I needed that extra 2 inches, or even just that extra inch, from a unit that worked in those conditions, even if it’s considered a cheap unit, it was worth it to buy a different coil to achieve this.
All major manufactures make high end units that are cost copped with lesser end coils on them. If it did not matter what the coil was, there would not be an existing market for them or be existing options for smaller or larger coils.
Sure a $100 dollar detector is just that, but in a world where they can cost as much as a few thousand dollars, what makes your $500 dollar detector any different?
I’ve tested the coil on the following; Discovery 3300, Lonestar, Sharpshooter, elite 2200, I plan to add the results of them all on the forum.
Good hunting and stay gold!

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
Thanks for posting I have a 2200 and love it. Bh get a bad rep but im not sure why it find the goodie very well.i have dug many silver coins with it and have found things following behind other detectors and haveing their users say f**k how did I miss that? Or what do u think about this signal? Bh is right most of the time even when other detectors get it wrong thay cost hundreds more.i would add another coil if it benefited me and my situaion.the bh 2200 has earned its place with me surprising many the only upgrade in my near future might be the 3300.i say might because I really dont need an upgrade but I would like gb option

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just picked up a free landstar with the purchase of a used sluice.
The landstar was a radioshack model, but just a different color face.
Anyway,was not working right so sent it in the BH.
They sent back a brand new coil, and main unit for $25.
Just trying it out today. W9onder how a different coil would work.

Sarg1969

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2017
Perry, Ga
Detector(s) used
Titan 3000xd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on NEL coil on Bounty Hunter

I just picked up a free landstar with the purchase of a used sluice.
The landstar was a radioshack model, but just a different color face.
Anyway,was not working right so sent it in the BH.
They sent back a brand new coil, and main unit for $25.
Just trying it out today. W9onder how a different coil would work.

Hi I was looking for an update on your NEL coils performance on your Bounty Hunter? I have a Titan 3000xd that is basically the same as a Discovery 3300 and would like to upgrade the coil to a NEL Hunter or Scout. Any help? BCCFE209-43A2-405E-A189-4EBD1D8EF835.jpeg BCCFE209-43A2-405E-A189-4EBD1D8EF835.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Any type of upgrade is good. Do you get over the top noticeable difference with aftermarket coils? Not Really, there is a difference and to some extent a noticeable one, but not a huge difference. The NEL coil I have has been on almost all the old model Bounty Hunter platforms that take the plug in coil at this point. The most noticed difference is with machines that have a ground balance capability. Also DD coils help in ways that are not completely noticed to some users that have never used one. In hot ground they work better and quieter. So that pre-tuned detector doesn't have as much chatter in certain situations. Pinpointing becomes different and for some more difficult. Remember the heel to toe trick and you'll have no problem.
My NEL Hunter coil has now been on the following. Discovery 3300 2200, Lonestar, Sharpshooter, F2 (older plug model) F4 (older plug model) Tracker IV, Pioneer 101 202 505.
The coil made a noticeable difference on all the models, but it really liked the old model F4 & F2 and all the pioneer models.
Most models its an inch to two inches in noticeable difference, but there is a difference in separation two, along with ground issues.
Good luck!!

Sarg1969

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2017
Perry, Ga
Detector(s) used
Titan 3000xd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Santa came early! He must have heard I needed a CORS Scout to fit my Titan 3000XD. I cant wait to see if it makes a difference on this crazy Red Georgia clay. 067BB43E-6489-464F-B05E-DDBD5F0DC625.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread