Troubleshoot Discovery 1000

farmer1

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently acquired a Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (identical with a Bounty Hunter IV) with the intention of locating some metal farm machinery parts I lost in a hay field. It appears to be in OK condition, that is no obvious corrosion or broken parts etc. but when I replaced the batteries and tested it it doesn't work very well at all. With it in all metal mode, sensitivity at 3 O'clock and discrimination at zero it will barely respond to a pair of stainless steel kitchen scissors and a 6 in cold chisel but not to a woodstove poker etc. nor to pocket change, platinum, gold or silver braclets., It will respond to the scissors & chisel if it is swept along the length but not so much when swept across. It doesn't respond at all to the machinery parts I'm trying to locate. That is when samples of the items I'm looking for are swept, nothing. The response is a chirping sound doesn't matter which mode. ( I expected to hear a tone in tone mode but no)

Any idea what is wrong with this unit? Anyone know of a fix?

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
sorry to hear of ur troubles couple of things try new batts i know u said u replaced them but ive bought faulty "new batts before so im sure it can happen again. check ur batt contacts i know some detectors us 1 bat for the detector/detection and the other one for sound. does it hit at 5" i no my kids detectors are only good for about 5". check that the pins from the coil arnt damaged and that there plugged in all the way.maybe try the different mades try disc. i dont know ur machine and im not an expert so take the advice for whats it worth but if that dosent work i just buy another the bh discovery seris machine are inepensive and will def hit a pair of scissors 6" best of luck to ya cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread