Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On another forum, a thread was started by someone who asked "Is the Tek Delta 4000 a good detector worth the price?"

Dave Johnson (FTP lead engineer) piped in with this:

Medium performance "entry level": most folks would rate the more recent Euroteks as offering more value for the money than the Delta. Might also look into Fisher F22 and the new Bounty Hunters that look kind of like the Delta and Eurotek. All these share somewhat similar circuitry, and differ primarily in feature set and what searchcoil they come with stock standard.

The discrimination software algorithms used in these machines is fairly similar to that used on our high performance machines, and customers familiar with metal detectors often remark that on targets less than 8 inches or so deep these machines deliver performance comparable to machines costing several times as much. Of course the more expensive machines still have their place for searching in locations where it's okay to dig with a shovel, and in gold prospecting which the under-$400 machines aren't much use for.

I have said all along that the Land Ranger Pro is a EuroTek Pro with ground balance and all sorts of features plus segments. And the Quick Draw Pro is a Eurotek Pro with segments. The LRP started originally with FeTone Iron Audio (like the ETP) plus a back light. But was changed at the last minute by production.

Here is the QDP prototype with the bulb for the light on the screen. Plus the features listing FeTone Iron Audio.

QDP Prototype.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Now what does all that mean? That the delta 4000 is not worth getting or it is just ok for children ?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I take from it (being an old computer guy) is that the top of the line detectors would be considered Pentium class and the lower priced detectors mentioned would be a Celeron. They can do all that the pentiums can do, just not quite as good. You lose a little depth and instead of having as many options as the high end detectors, you get the most commonly and easily used options.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What I take from it (being an old computer guy) is that the top of the line detectors would be considered Pentium class and the lower priced detectors mentioned would be a Celeron. They can do all that the pentiums can do, just not quite as good. You lose a little depth and instead of having as many options as the high end detectors, you get the most commonly and easily used options.
Come on now Loco talk english to every one .... You are talking computers not detectors and most here do not know what you are saying ... I had to look up celeron & pentium and what i read about your big words that they could be equal ..Not one better than the other ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now what does all that mean? That the delta 4000 is not worth getting or it is just ok for children ?

I don't see that at all. Dave is injecting more choices and explaining that they are all the same detector with different options. He probably wasn't aware that Wally is selling the Delta for $138. You can't get a numerical TID detector that offers AM from anyone for that price. The Delta is a great detector with a great selection of coils.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come on now Loco talk english to every one .... You are talking computers not detectors and most here do not know what you are saying ... I had to look up celeron & pentium and what i read about your big words that they could be equal ..Not one better than the other ..

Actually, the clocking of processing speed between a Celeron and Pentium is exactly a valid comparison. Metal Detectors use processing as well. Digital processing doing the same as a computer. It's the reason for faster recovery, and the more options loaded onto the processor (notch, disc, etc) the less depth the field can detect. It's the reason 2 AA batteries can run the whole shebang.

Many people reading forums are familiar with the Intel (and AMD) family of processors because you want to purchase the best speed for the money. But I don't think he meant any harm.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to overclock the piss out of my 333mhz Celeron. If only metal detectors had a BIOS we could access.....

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to overclock the piss out of my 333mhz Celeron. If only metal detectors had a BIOS we could access.....

lol.........I burnt a few older PCs overclocking to play newer games. I was happy with speed and a good Radeon card until two weeks later, a new game came out that taxed my system. Was happy to see Intel finally figured out dual core was a better answer than trying to stretch a single core into the 7ghz hell. And now Quad core. Where does it end? Finally took my gaming to XBox 360. I was OK for a few years, now Fallout 4 is going to be made only for PC, PS4 or XBox One. Here we go again!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, the clocking of processing speed between a Celeron and Pentium is exactly a valid comparison. Metal Detectors use processing as well. Digital processing doing the same as a computer. It's the reason for faster recovery, and the more options loaded onto the processor (notch, disc, etc) the less depth the field can detect. It's the reason 2 AA batteries can run the whole shebang.

Many people reading forums are familiar with the Intel (and AMD) family of processors because you want to purchase the best speed for the money. But I don't think he meant any harm.
I know he meant no harm ..Loco..i did not mean that it is just a lot on here do not know what you were talking about .... Then there is the ones on here that know what you were talking about .. I am sorry i did not mean for it to come out phrased like that ...

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol.........I burnt a few older PCs overclocking to play newer games. I was happy with speed and a good Radeon card until two weeks later, a new game came out that taxed my system. Was happy to see Intel finally figured out dual core was a better answer than trying to stretch a single core into the 7ghz hell. And now Quad core. Where does it end? Finally took my gaming to XBox 360. I was OK for a few years, now Fallout 4 is going to be made only for PC, PS4 or XBox One. Here we go again!

It never ends. The only thing my wife and I enjoy more than MDing is PC gaming. It definitely comes first for us (she loves Battlefield 4). We just built a couple PC's in February.

Could have bought us each a E-trac or XP for what they cost to build... :BangHead:

I need to find cheaper hobbies....

Cool tidbit....my old Garrett Scorpion had 4-5 pots inside of it to adjust. They left the tone one adjustable but covered the other 3-4 with some sort of blue goo. I scraped it off and adjusted them to see what they did. Could adjust the threshold and audio and disc with those pots....was neat stuff. Was pretty nifty and kinda like overclocking it. Got an extra 1-1.5 out of it in AM mode since they had the sensitivity pot rather low. Just adjusted it until I heard chatter and BARELY backed it off from there. After that the normal knob on the face became super sensitive. :headbang: No joke...a good 1-1.5 inches....pretty significant IMO for a gold machine.

Anyways back on topic. Is the Delta 4000 the same as the $138 Delta at Wally-World from the other thread? Or is the 4000 a step up from it?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the only difference in the 4000 is one is a plug in coil and one is a screw on coil ..I think every thing else is the same in it ... or on it..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No harm. no foul Keppy. I forgot many in the audience are still using paper and pencil.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool tidbit....my old Garrett Scorpion had 4-5 pots inside of it to adjust. They left the tone one adjustable but covered the other 3-4 with some sort of blue goo. I scraped it off and adjusted them to see what they did. Could adjust the threshold and audio and disc with those pots....was neat stuff. Was pretty nifty and kinda like overclocking it. Got an extra 1-1.5 out of it in AM mode since they had the sensitivity pot rather low. Just adjusted it until I heard chatter and BARELY backed it off from there. After that the normal knob on the face became super sensitive. :headbang: No joke...a good 1-1.5 inches....pretty significant IMO for a gold machine.

Yep. Bought a few barebones myself and picked my MB and processor.

As for the above comment...........................still waiting for that BOOM from the West (someday). :laughing9:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well everyone here pretty much knows my opinion on the Delta topic.

But seriously, all of these so called "lower end" units WILL find plenty of treasure. They'll all pay for themselves in no time if they're actually used rather than allowed to sit and collect dust. Cheap cars that run good will still get you from point A to point B.

I'm a lifelong musician and in one sense, metal detectors remind me of guitars. With both items, many people will get them and then once they realize there is actually WORK involved in using them to their full potential, they toss them aside and then blame the item.

It's akin to saying "this stupid typewriter can't even spell".

I contend that anyone with a little zeal for this hobby can go out with a BH Tracker IV on a consistent basis and dig WAY more treasure than someone with a really nice Minelab or Dues who just doesn't dedicate themselves and press on in the hunting process. My $30.00 Tracker IV paid for itself several times over in my first hour of hunting because I found a 10K wedding band (talk about some beginner's luck!). It also found me a few more nice rings, about 8 silver coins, a nice IH and a ton of clad. Ultimately it paid for itself several times over before I stopped using it.
Is it a "good" detector? I say it most certainly is.

The really good news is, those very same people will often sell these items for ridiculously LOW prices after they've laid around for a while. I've bought many guitars this way and a few detectors as well; so God bless those who buy the items yet refuse to do the work involved to make them pay off. It makes life a little more pleasant for those of us who don't like to pay retail.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

I haven't used any of the machines mentioned above....but just my simple beep and dig Tesoro DeLeon has treated me fairly well the high end machines have more bells and whistles and some will give you a bit more depth.

Other than that the pretty much all get you good results if you know how to use them effectively.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used my Deleon quite successfully back in 2006 for a year or so. There's more to MDing than depth. I'd rather do my homework and find a good unsearched spot with a 6" deep machine than depend on a 10" deep machine in an area everyone hits. Most coins and jewelry on land is found within the 6" depth.

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I totally got the PC references, my first computer was a Commodore 64 and if my PC now (I built) was a detector....I would be swinging a CTX3030.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread