New 4COIL seems hyper-sensitive

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got a new 4COIL for my Prospector. It seems to be almost unusably sensitive. I don't know if I got a bad coil, or if maybe the advertised compatibility with "all models" doesn't include the Prospector. It sounds a little bit like this thread where the poster mentions a bad coil hitting on every inch of ground. The Prospector has automatic ground balancing with no manual override.

I've used the coil in two locations. At the first location, with the sensitivity at 1/4 and the discrimination at max, it was hitting reproducible high tones on volcanic rocks. My stock coil doesn't hit on those rocks at all, even at max sensitivity in all metal mode. The second location was even worse. It was constantly emitting non-reproducible high squeaks in organic soil at min sensitivity and max discrimination.

Any suggestions?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have hot rocks here in Ohio I believe they are from coal stove residue and half burnt coke, They ring in high and may look like volcanic rock. You are swinging over the same stuff there I bet.

OP
OP
E

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure these are natural rocks. Some of them are boulder-sized, and they cover a whole mountaintop.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck detecting there, I hate hot rocks since I am coin shooter that digs the dirt in Ohio.

OP
OP
E

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The erratic beeping may have had something to do with my batteries being weak. They weren't low enough for the battery light to come on, but they were close. On my next hunt, I noticed the low battery light just barely flickering. Maybe the 4" coil is more sensitive to low batteries. The stock coil seemed to be working fine while the 4" was going nuts.

With fresh batteries, I can set the detector around 1/2 sensitivity without too much chatter. But I'm still spending way too much time digging hot rocks. And digging is not easy in this hard-packed rocky soil. I saved a few of the rocks, so maybe I'll see if there's a way to tune them out without losing too much depth on coins.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If they are ringing in as high tones like they do here in Ohio, there isn't anything that can be done except for hunting in an area where hot rocks aren't present.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions