trouble shooting my detector

truefriend64

Nov 28, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys need to pick some minds here on trouble shoot a problem with a metal detector.
I have a bounty hunter detector which I let my grandson and guest use if they want to go out for the day.
I know it is cheap but still a good way to get someone outdoors and started detecting.
The problem is it will not turn on. I have tried new batteries and all types but here is the catch. when I unplug the coil it come on!!
This a sure sign of a bad coil? I can get a replacement cheap but just what to make sure it is worth doing.
Thanks you

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved this thread from New Member Introductions over to Forum: Brands > Bounty Hunter for more exposure.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your coil has a direct short if detector comes on when coil is disconnected and want when it is connected. Need new coil.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[h=1]"trouble shooting my detector"[/h]
First: Lay the Bounty Hunter on the floor while speaking softly and reassuringly. Have a friend hold the coil securely.

Second: As you draw the Bounty Hunter's attention to a small clad coin, remove your pistol from your concealed holster and shoot it in the control box twice.

Third: Throw it in a dumpster on your way to the Tesoro dealer for your new Compadre.

Problem solved! :occasion14:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you could come into the modern age of detecting and buy a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro for the same price.

It is deeper...has a display...has adjustable sensitivity...has pin-pointing capability...1-99 target identification...depth meter...notching...volume control...and based of the 7.7khz Greek series from Teknetics.

Or you can get the Compadre and have none of that...and thumb a dial to check each target.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without knowing which BH you have, it's hard to say whether it would be beneficial to buy a coil or not. A quick call to First Texas Products would be my choice. They have a great service after the sale record, and have surprised many owners with "beyond the normal" servicing. Depending on the age and detector, it wouldn't surprise me if they just sent you a coil. They have a track record of exceptional service.

Good luck and welcome.

And pay no attention to the guy in the red hat and glasses above. The home is looking for him again.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread