Newbie on metal detecting. Need advice for gift.

dvdcr

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello:hello:,
I did not know that this hobby was this huge, and I am surprised at the quantity of metal detectors and their prices.

My dad always wanted a metal detector but never got around on purchasing one, so I would like to buy one for him. I dont know where to start so I went to Amazon and found this, as the one with the best reviews... http://www.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunter...qid=1346090604&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+detector
But I would like your opinion. If you have a much better choice for less than $300 it would be great.

Now, my dad is not too techie so I don't want anything too complicated. The simpler the better.
He is also from Peru, so he is actually moving back to Peru in a few months... ...so what he mainly wants this is to explore unexplored Inca's places and see if he could find some Inca stuff. Plus going to the beach and walking around is also on his list. So something that can resist the sea salt and water is a plus.

Thanks a lot!

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My advise if he wants something simple get him a Tesoro, can't get more simple than that. If you think that a screen can be usefull for him than a ace 250 or a fisher f2 would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
D

dvdcr

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advise if he wants something simple get him a Tesoro, can't get more simple than that. If you think that a screen can be usefull for him than a ace 250 or a fisher f2 would be good.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Not that I don't believe you. But can you please tell me why those are better? Is it reputations or because some specs I am not looking at? Thanks!

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
dvdcr said:
Not that I don't believe you. But can you please tell me why those are better? Is it reputations or because some specs I am not looking at? Thanks!

dvdcr,bounty hunter is fine,but for your dad a tesoro silver umax would be extra great,and i think lower on the price,life time warranty,older class seems to take right to them,not digital,it has knobs that the older type really like.And the silver umax is truly amazing in my opinion.Nice thing you are doing.Great job. :-D

OP
OP
D

dvdcr

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dvdcr,bounty hunter is fine,but for your dad a tesoro silver umax would be extra great,and i think lower on the price,life time warranty,older class seems to take right to them,not digital,it has knobs that the older type really like.And the silver umax is truly amazing in my opinion.Nice thing you are doing.Great job. :-D

I like the Tesoro so far a lot. I know I said I wanted something simple, but perhaps that one is too simple? What I mean is that there is nothing visible that will "pop up" when the detector finds something but just sound (right?). Is there a similar version but with a visible meter? Something that doesn't just emit sound.

Thanks a lot for the replies!

jeff0172

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry for the double post my computer is all messed up

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions