dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any relatives with old houses? If not try asking for permission at older homes, its easier than you think.

OP
OP
F

Fe2+ MD

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting and I just bought a Garrett ace 350 but I am having trouble finding good spots. Any advice?

Ok thanks also its been a month now and I haven't found anything cool or good just junk. Not sure if its the state or the detector or not having a pin pointer.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thinking goes along the lines of where are the people?

Such as where is your county fair? State fair? Churches, campground meetings, schools.

See if any metal detector clubs are in your area.

History of your area? Trains, stagecoaches, schools, old maps and photographs?

Talk to your mayor, mine is great.

I've been doing this for many years as have many others, don't look to get rich, it's a hobby and exercise for me. The research is enjoyable also...

You're in New Mexico? Read the New Mexico section of this blog.
Click here: New Mexico

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby, its lots of fun. Main things learn ur machine in & out read the manual over & over till u really get it & watch YouTube vids for tips any of that will improve on ur finds, make a test garden or even take some silver,gold & even bottle capa junk pass em over the coil so u start to know what they sound off as so u get used to it, ull also want to look I.to a decent pinpointer it will absolutley cut down ur digging time & possibly help in not damaging that nice coin, start slow & ull move up fast

OP
OP
F

Fe2+ MD

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks for your help I will look into those things

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Its tough to find good spots. But you can find them. Just keep trying. Talk to the older folks. Try to research old newspapers, see where people were going on holiday long ago, say July 4, 1895. Or not so long ago. Like gold? NM has a lot of gold history too.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the local parks. On weekends you can go to the parks at schools unless they frown on you being there after school hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread