Recommendations please....

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i have finally decided to get a decent detector but have no experience with detecting. I have been reading a lot the past week and am asking for help.

Budget: $1500ish
Terrain: 50% salt water beaches and 50% land

My concerns are this, Guam was a hotspot during WWII so I'm guess there are plenty of brass and other scrap metals. In addition, Guam was occupied by the Spanish since the 1500's so who knows what's out here. I want to get a detector that will work as dual purpose. I'm looking for coins, jewelry on the beach and ocean.

I have really been eyeballing the Excalibur Ii as is seams to be a preferred machine for underwater finds. I just don't want to drop the cash on a land machine also.

I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. The Excalibur looks like is a pretty good unit, probably what I will start with. A PI would be nice but seems like they tend to get pricey quick.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget to look at Fishers CZ-21.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
WITH A PI YOU GET GREATER DEPTH BUT NO DISCRIMINATION (DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT YOUR DIGGING,GOOD FOR THE BEACH WHERE DIGGING IS EASY BUT INLAND WOULD BE IMPRACTICAL BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE TO DIG EACH TARGET WITH BASICALLY NO IDEA WHAT TARGET WAS). A PI CAN BE HAD MUCH CHEAPER THAN AN EXCAL BUT FOR ALL-AROUND I'D GO FOR THE VLF DETECTOR....JB

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to go with the CTX. Thanks for the recommendations.

Cory

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread